ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition switch

ok has anyone had the ignition switch go out on them one day i just about got everything ready running no i charge the battery and nothing i can jump it then she fires up once i take the screwdriver off the start slinoid she dies ?
    80 xs11 sg

Good morning, in case you need a replacement. I have used ignition switch,gas cap,and sidecover lock all with same key for a special. andreas

Comment

Hey TJ,

The ignition "keyed" switch can get corroded, the wires can come off of their soldered connections, etc.!!! But start with the basics, check your fuses. You have an 80SG, I think it still has the Ballast resistor, it could be bad. During startup it's bypassed by the TCI, but once the engine is running, the power for the coils is routed thru it, but if it's broken, then it won't allow current thru it!?

You can also take your ignition switch apart and inspect it for damage/corrosion, broken solder joints!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TJ;

What TC said. Ballast resistor is suspect. Try starting it and hold the starter button in, If it keeps running, it's the ballast.

Comment

ya that seen to be whats happening so where can i get a new one ?
          80 xs11 sg

Comment

I have a good used ballast resister. andreas

Comment

TJ,
              Go with andreas for the parts. Good price, quick delivery and a good XSesive. The other thing is buy one from an auto parts store, and jury rig it to the bike. It can work and look good, but the time may be more than the cost of a "new" part.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
              X