4-1 header repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-1 header repair?

Anybody have any creative ideas how to take this out?

I thought maybe a guy might tack weld a piece of 1/4 inch rod to the "ding" and use a slide hammer to pull it out.

I was also wondering if there might be a mandrel that could be inserted and expanded it reshape it from the inside out. Possibly a 1.5 inch steel ball on a flex rod to drive against the crumpled area.

Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

Hey Maximan, I saw this header somewhere recently and thought of the same idea of repairing it with the welding the rod idea and using a slide hammer. It's worth a try. I think it would work! Gee, where was it I saw it again??!! EEEEEsomething! Looks good other than that dent. Good luck!
    Cam

Comment

.. 4 expandable rubber freeze plugs, the size of the manifold/primary pipes[inside diameter] and one the size of the collector outlet. install a shrader valve into the big freeze plug or what ever you want to use to put air in the pipe. add about 15psi of air to the pipe, then useing a torch, heat the dented area until almost red, you will see the dent start moving. the air pressure should push most dents out. if your dents have creases in them, the marks will never go away. if your dents are stuborn, heat your part a little more and tap on or around the dent with a very small hammer.. *whatever you do, be ready to release the air pressure real fast in case you over heat the part!. these pipes are thin walled, you can over heat them real fast.
      .. good luck on your mission..

Comment

Originally posted by lisk
        Hey Maximan, I saw this header somewhere recently and thought of the same idea of repairing it with the welding the rod idea and using a slide hammer. It's worth a try. I think it would work! Gee, where was it I saw it again??!! EEEEEsomething! Looks good other than that dent. Good luck!
        OOPS! Sounds like I sniped your pipe?

Tell ya what...I'm gathering up 2 or 3 headers to finish my project of overhauling Godzilla. If you need a header PM me I may have one left when all the smoke clears.... (hmmm ...bad analogy)...ok ok when I finish tuning the beast.

Comment

Gene the genious! Where in the name of heaven do you come up with htese wonderful ideas. I assume you've done something similar in the past?

I'll try it.

Comment

Header suggestion

Hi ,

It might work if you cut out the dent and weld a new piece in ..

Check ouit these guys at www.metalmeet.com .
            I went to their International Metalmeet In Oblong , Il last year ...

Good luck !!

Bob
            1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
            1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

That looks like a Kerker. Is it?
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I assume you've done something similar in the past?
                .. yes, even tried it on a xs650 fuel tank once. it worked good on the two small dents but i got greedy on the big dent, added to much air and the tank puffed up like a big ball.
                it's not my idea, i cant remember where i had heard/read about this one, it was to many beers ago. but thanx for the compliment

Comment

I still consider you brighter than average. Anyone that has the tenacity and wherewithall to choke 84 hp out of a abone stock Eleven can't be too dim.

Comment

I would cut out the kinked section and weld in a new piece.
                    Simple to do if you can weld. 16ga. prebent tubes are easy to find those are 1.5" dia. I think? I would black ceramic coat them after the repair better performance and it would hide the weld. Nice piece though, worth saving. The collector on this set looks ten tmes better than the chorme one you bought first. Best of luck.
                    This is something I would do to save $$$.
                    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

I dunno if the collector looks "better" but it darn sure looks BIGGER.

I'm not so sure about the welding repair. I fear the resulting rough edge on the inside of the pipe might create some nasty turbulence.

Then again if I can't get it out with Gene's suggestion I may have no other choice.

Actually I now have two headers to try on the Maxim. I bought another on Ebay yesterday. It's in good shape. I'll try both on the dyno and which every performs better I'll keep and refinish. I just hope one of them will allow me to keep my center stand and oil cooler.

Comment

That Kerker is a "NO center stand". The bulk of it runs under the bottom center of the bike then sort of comes out to the muffler near the back of the engine. Also note that if you do a search on e-Bay for Yamaha XS1100 Kerker you will see yet another pipe for sale that is the exact pipe I used to run on my XS11 in the 80s. The pipe the guy is selling is however in very poor condition. Check it out and you well see the difference in the muffler shape, DIA and length.
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Yes if it's the one I saw yesterday the collector is as "holey" as a priest.

Comment

Ya that would be the one. Not worth even looking at much less buying.
                            Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                              That Kerker is a "NO center stand". The bulk of it runs under the bottom center of the bike then sort of comes out to the muffler near the back of the engine.
                              Rob

That exhaust looks XSactly like what I have (XScept for the muffler).
                              I still have my centerstand with no problem. With the bike on the stand the collector and pipe run through the middle of it, no interference at all.

The stand rests against the pipe when you're riding

The outlet of the collector is 2 1/4"
                              I still intend to make a 'Y' pipe fromm the collector and run two shorty (10" length) SuperTrapp mufflers. The left side of the bike just looks empty IMHO
                              Last edited by Pat Kelly; 08-07-2006, 12:18 PM.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X