plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plug wires

I have a problem with my XJ. It is running fine but the plug wires keep coming loose from the caps. Is there something i can do to stop this or do i need a whole new ignition unit? Can i just buy new caps and like crimp them on. i wish these things were like cars. I'm used to working on them. Plug wires are easy on them, i'm just super comfused. please help.
    Jake
    82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

I believe you can cut off a 1/4 inch of the wire and put them back on.
    1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
    1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
    1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Jake,

The caps SCREW onto the wires. The screw threads bite into the center (conductor) of the wire. Like Doug wrote, clip off 1/4" and screw the caps back on.

Comment

Okie Dokie

I'll give that a shot. So, do the wires not accually come of the ignition unit? And if not, how do you replace them?
        Jake
        82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

Mortman, look in the left menu, clik on tech tips, look for repairs, clik it, scroll down to new wires in old coils, clik it, and learn how to replace your ignition wires. Rather difficult to do, but MUCH cheaper than new coils.
          put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
          76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Hey Mort,

This shows that you haven't done your homework!!

We(moderators) and regulars, DiverRay, Prometheus, John, Pat Kelly, Randy, Ken Talbot, etc. recommend a thorough perusing of the TECH TIPS, there's tons of information there....ie.
            New Wires In Old Coils Tip

Not just the link in the Yellow Column on the left, but go to the Main Forum Page and scroll down to the tips sections: Maintanance, Repairs, Mods, Misc., you'll be amazed at the information you'll find!

Then, there is the search function for the Tech Disc. Forums!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm chiming in again here: NGK makes a plug wire splice kit. It is a compression type device with threaded ends and "nuts" that screw on to make the connection watertight. $4-$5 ea. Leave an inch or two of wire on the coils and hook up whatever new plug wire you want. I haven't done the new wire-old coil mod, but I would think there is a couple of hours work there. Might be worth the $20
              2010 Kawasaki Z1000
              1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

I Guess my '79 Standard has some kind of aftermarket coils on it as the wires pop on and off just like on a car...both ends. what kind of wire is best for the plugs?... silicone or perhaps a straight 60kV copper high voltage wire? just a semi-off topic but not really kinda question.. thanks in advance
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I'm running solid core wire from NAPA. I don't have a radio on my bike, and I'm not overly concerned about causing noise in the boom-boom ride the next lane over. I get a nice fat spark from my Accel coils.
                  2010 Kawasaki Z1000
                  1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Comment

Hey Lorax,

I've been doing some recent searches for coil wires, looking for "COLORED" ones. I've found some interesting wires from TAYLOR, called SPIRO-Pro which has a stainless steel core, and it wrapped in two layers of insulation, only has 350 ohms per foot length designed to reduce RFI for the NEWER CDI type ignition systems that ARE sensitive to interference. They come with the plug caps installed, but could be cut off to put on NGK type!

Again, was contemplating these more for the added color aspect, but their performance sounds good also. But as Tom said, solid wire core is usually recommended. Using resistor plugs and or resistor caps also provides the RFI protection for YOUR Radio, if you use one, otherwise non-resistor is just as good!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

The wole reason I asked about the wire thing is that the other day, I was on my way home from work and got rained on...not really an issue, except for the small problem with my coils (one of them started shorting out and I was left running on 2 cylinders. I know it is in the wires because I got shocked when i touched the tank. so I lifted the tank up between shifts and got my happy self home...sadly giggling all the way. I am a electronics guy by trade...specifically high voltage electronics. I have some white 60kV stranded copper wire that I can obscond with and figured I'd have a bash at making my own custom set of wires. the resistance I believe is in the tenths of ohms per foot.....opinions anyone? thanks again.

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Sounds like a plan, just be sure that wire is well insulated, but you said it's for handling 60Kv so it should be!! Your existing wires may have either gotten rubbed bare but more likely some previous rain or washing deposits have created that "short" to the tank that is easily bridged when more water is added!

After putting the new wires on, try sealing around the wire connectors for the coil and plug cap with some RTV or Dielectric grease which may help to further insulate against future shorting out during wet encounters!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Yes, I fully intend to insulate the bejeebeez out of this, I have had some arcing to the frame where the wires attach to the coils. so I will be replacing the snap on caps at the coil ends at the minimum. These wires are supposedly rated for 60kV... however, I have seen them move around in strange ways under 40 or 50kV. not arcing through just twitching a little.... anyway I'm rambling again, my wire only comes in white, it's different but i'm reasonably sure it will work as I have used it on an old 400cc Kaw that I have. I figured I'd check before putting them on a slightly more sophiticated system than what I used to ride...what the hell right, I mean what's the worst that could happen???

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

originally posted by The Lorax
                            what the hell right, I mean what's the worst that could happen???
                            Not a question I ask anymore,
                            sometimes it's better NOT to know.

mro

Comment

My dad told me stories about rerouting the spart to the seat of the car....
                              On a bike, it would be more than a tingle on the way home.
                              Ray
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X