Accel Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accel Coils

I've recently picked up a 3 XS1100 parts bikes. Not much electrical hardware, just rolling frames with engines. P.O. had pair of accel coils said they were 140404 models in with some of the parts. He could not remember if they were from one of the 1100's or from one of his other bikes. Measuring resistance leads me to think that is what they are, (0.93 and 0.86 ohms)
    My question is if the resister ass'y is left in will there be enough resistance between the coils and the resister not to damage the TCI box.
    The 140403 are the recomended (Inductive discharge 3.0 ohms non-CDI).
    With the additional 1.5 ohms from the resister and the 0.7 ohms from the 140404 coils (CDI) would give 2.2 ohms. IS this enough resistance or will the TCI unit be damaged (burned up) over a period of time.
    How critical is that +/- .08 ohms to the TCI unit.
    Do'Lee
    XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
    (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
    (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
    (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
    SR500H "Silver Streak"

Hey Do Lee,

Randy would be the one to answer this properly, but I'll give it a try. First, it's 0.8 ohms less, not 0.08, big difference!!

Secondly, less resistance draws more current thru the TCI, and that's what burned the outputs out! Also, the Accel coils are designed for 12 volts. Running a 1.5 ohm resistor before it reduces the voltage....I think down to 8, can't remember the formula exactly?! So...less voltage would produce less of a powerful spark, defeating the purpose of using the Accels in the first place!

Sell them, and get some Mike's XS coils!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks T.C. I ment 0.8 not .08 ohms just a small decimal slip.
      Was thinking about ebaying some of the parts after salvaging what I can for a second runner (rat bike)
      Do'Lee
      XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
      (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
      (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
      (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
      SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

accel coils 140403 vs 140404

So, the 140404 can be used? is there a different setup to get a good amount of power without cooking things? The Accel website says he 140404 is for non cdi bikes, and some have said the 140403 is for models up to 1980. What about 1981 models? Can anyone give us some insight?

Comment

I run the 140403, those are the correct coils for our bikes, all years. On 78-80 models, take the ballast off the bike and bypass by plugging the 2 harness ends together. 140403 are 3 ohm, that is what you want. 81 models have no ballast and run 3 ohm instead of the 1.5 ohm of the earlier models.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
          X