No announcement yet.

Pod Air Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personally i like the way my bike looks with the stock airbox...and i'm not afraid of the rain ..or washing my bike..i've got a k&n in stock airbox with four 1" holes underneath..i cut off most of the rubber inlet on top(about an inch behind the turn) it greatly simplifies removing or re-installing stock airbox..have kerker 4 into 1...i have 142.5 mains in carbs...i can pull throttle wide open in high gear at low r's (under 2grand) with no spitting or stuttering..pulls smooth up to about 3500 or so ..then pulls like a rocket to 8500 ..i don't make a habit of running it that way but when you can pull away smoothly like that you know your carbs are pretty well synced...i'll stick with my airbox stevo

Comment

These carbs rely on the vacuum caused by the engine sucking against the air filter to lift the slide up out of the carb.
      I would have to disagree with this statement on nothing scientific, but just personal experience. My bike has run better than it ever has, when I took off the filters COMPLETELY and ran up the street with open carbs. Hard smooth power through the whole RPM range... but alas... riding without a filter is not something I care to do.
      TC mentioned some people having problems with the stock Partsnmore filters.... I am one of them. They choke the life out of my beast at anything above 6200 rpm's.... ya know.. where the fun really STARTS with these bikes! I ordered the other filters a couple days ago from Aperaceparts, like Oldnortonrider posted, and should be here in the next couple days. I asked them if these filters were just like K&N filters and needed to be charged with oil or anything, and I was told that, no, these just needed to be cleaned with soap and water and NO compressed air.
      I will post how they perform. Right now, I feel like I am on a racehorse with asthma. That being said, I would still rather use these pod filters with less (ok.. NO) performance at the top end than go back to the airbox. My fuel mileage has increased from 23-25 mpg to @ 30 mpg, I get a cool growl from the motor at lower end when I accelerate that the airbox muffles out, I personally think it makes the bike look less cluttered... the extra chrome doesn't hurt either, and this isn't even taking into account the ease of getting those carbs in and out. Just my opinion... and you know what they say about those!

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/in...sg5621#msg5621

A pic of Alan B's bike (uk forum)
        Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=851.0

more info ,

Gareth
          Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

OK so I put the oval air filters on the carbs this afternoon. i got them from Mikes and they fit good and look good. The bike idles perfect with the #145 pilot jets installed and runs good up to about 4500 RPM. Then it "bogs" out pretty badly. Sort of like a rapid miss fire with no power. I have not try to accelerate past this point. I have my dial-A-jets still installed and turned up their fuel delivery level.
            Form idle to 4500 RPM the bikes runs good and there is no back firing or popping in the pipe on deceleration. Would this "Bogging" out likely be a too rich condition or too lean condition?
            Rob
            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Most likely severely rich, especially if your new mains are K&L brand which are way larger than the same numbered Mikuni jets.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
                Most likely severely rich, especially if your new mains are K&L brand which are way larger than the same numbered Mikuni jets.
                I have not changed out the main jets. The ones in the carbs are the stock jets. It is normal to run main jets that are smaller in order to have the dial-A-jet system work because it will deliver up to 15% of the engines fuel requirements. I did dial the dial-A-jet up a far amount as compared to when running the air box but have none nothing to the needles as yet. I just got the impression that it was rich because it "bogged" out as I call it. I have been thinking that perhaps I should lower the Neddle clips one position and dial the dial-A-jet back some what
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Hey Rob.

If you look close at the filter boots with the filter element off of it, you will probably see what is posted here... scan down to the pictures.
                  Pod Filters

I bought these from Mike's for my bike also and had the same problem you are having. I backed the boots off as far as I could without them falling off and tightened the clamp really good. I could get up to about 6500 rpms that way. Those filter boots go from 54mm down to 43mm or something like that, and actually block part of the carbs. On mine, I could take the element off after a ride, and gas would actually be pooled up inside the boot!
                  TC has a fix to help with this, but I just spent an extra 20 bucks and ordered the right ones for 60 bucks from APE racing's website. You can see the before and after pics in this link...
                  Pods

Notice the obvious lip (Restriction) in the first pic. I just don't think jetting is your problem at this point. If you want to know for sure, make a quick run up the road with NO filters. A good pod filter should be letting the engine breath nearly that well. Just stay out of any wet or dusty environments while you do this. Good luck.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Yes I did notice that partial restriction of the vents and jets and was going to notch the boots out to address it. So when it is all said and done i can ether correct the issue like TC did or buy different filters. I got the mikes ones because the price was right. The K&N brand would cost close to 180 in Canadian dollars :-( so I was not going to go that route. I may try notching them first and see what happens .
                    Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

The filters I got from here are true K&N replicas... scan to the bottom of this page where it gives you an email and phone number for international orders.
                      Ape Race Parts

The price for them would be about $66 Canadian, but couldn't tell you about shipping fees. I hope the notching works for you, but if not, these other filters are much cheaper than K&N.

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Well ... notching is also not going to work because even with the rubber boot of the filter notched the actual steel hole in the filter is too small and will still restrict the holes but not by the same amount. I guess the only fix is to get K&N or knock off that do not have this lip in the boot. They need to be 54 MM straight through. So the question is .. .are there any K&N knock offs that are truly the same as the K&Ns. I did not see and non branded filters at APE racing. So I guess this afternoon I will pop my air box back on untill I get the right ones.
                        If someone has a link please post it.
                        Flush .. that 48 dollars going down my toilet on the filters I had already bought
                        Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                        1978 XS500E
                        1979 XS1100F Restored
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        1981 Suzuki GS1100
                        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                          The filters I got from here are true K&N replicas... scan to the bottom of this page where it gives you an email and phone number for international orders.
                          Ape Race Parts

The price for them would be about $66 Canadian, but couldn't tell you about shipping fees. I hope the notching works for you, but if not, these other filters are much cheaper than K&N.

Tod
                          Thanks Tod I will check that out. You must have been posting at the same time as I did
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Not a problem. I rode with my filters from Mike's for a while. I never really noticed them down in the low rpms... but sometimes when I'd go to pass, when you get to about 6 grand when the bike should be really making it's power... it would just crap out. Not a good situation if you're at a time where you really need it!
                            I can't remember where the thread was or if it was put into the tech tips, but TC also made an adapter boot for these filters from parts from the hardware store that helped his. You might check into that before ordering if you're interested in trying to salvage what you have already. OOPS... wait... here's the link. Scan down to the second set of pics from TC.

filter fix

Good luck.

Tod

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100

Comment

OOPS!

I see that TC had already supplied the link to those velocity stacks in an earlier post on this thread... Sorry.

Tod

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100

Comment

For the time being i have notched and siliconed the Mikes filters and will use them until I get a better fitting set. I opted to do this because it was a 4 hour custom job to mount my Dial-A-Jets to the "edge" of these filters.
                                thanks guys
                                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                                1978 XS500E
                                1979 XS1100F Restored
                                1980 XS1100 SG
                                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...