XJ air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ air filter

The XJ11 was in production for such a short period of time that there is no such thing as an aftermarket filter for it, we're stuck buying OEM units (not cheap!). They look like this - this one got gas/oil blowby from crankcase breather

In the not too distant future, we'll have pix and a write-up of how Herb Johnston made this really nifty home-made K&N filter:

[IMG]/forum/images/tips/20020830-xjfiltertop.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]/forum/images/tips/20020830-xjfilterbottom.jpg[/IMG]
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

That will be cool' One of the things that came with my cycle was a new air filter "still in the box" along with the receipt for $40++.
    So I will be interested. I'm pretty good at making things.

xjguy and gone with the wind

Comment

I'm on a roll-"Speaking of making things"- All the bike makers seem to be so much into retro bikes, that I think 2007 would be a great time for a 25th anniverary xj1100 maxim limited one year edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you think?

Comment

I think it would be a great idea,,,,,, I'd buy one for sure,,,,or two. Time to start lobbying.
        Ken Krieger
        Chesterfield, Va.
        81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
        82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
        82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
        79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
        1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
        85 XJ700 Maxim
        06 VMax - Black Max
        85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

I've often wondered what the XJ would have developed into had it been given more of a run. We know turbo and fuel injection were being developed by Yamaha for the 1100 engine. A retro...build an XJ with as much of today's technology as possible, including FI, upgraded brakes, suspension, 160 mph speedo (Indiglow?) and a better seat. Add a touring package including floorboards, forward contols, cruise....

Put me down for one!
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

All this talk is making me crave a 2007 XJ1100. I think somebody should present this to Yamaha, and point them to this site in reference. Let them know we want it.

I definately will be saving my allowances just in case
            Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

MAW has a "stock airbox" K&N replacement for the orignial YA1400.

Their part number is 20333. $35 US.

Dave
              XJ1100J

Comment

Dave, MAW doesn't exactly know what they are talking about, it wouln't be the first time they published incorrect application data.

At http://www.knpowersports.com, K&N's motorcycle main page, using their applications interface, the only product they list for XJ11 is an oil filter. For XS11, there are jet kits, air filters, oil filter, etc. The K&N YA-1400 is for XS11s, and will not fit the XJ. That YA-1400 is a K&N part number.
                Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Wow, I was about to buy one too.
                  I should check my parts manual before
                  posting.

Thanks,

Dave
                  XJ1100J

Comment

Working...
                  X