Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ten year stored 79 XS1100SF runs great.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten year stored 79 XS1100SF runs great.....

see my posts about XS11 disease and rear master cylinder.....

Got the rear MC working great, rear caliper sticks a little, will take it off and check, maybe compressing it will release, hope so, other wise will need to rebuild.....

Front brakes work just a little spongie, will take MC off soon and clean, then bleed, newer pads front and rear....

Finally took it for a drive today, started out really slow, everything works, then ran it through first and second, full throttle and it screams, no mid range hesitation, reminds me of the eleven I had 28 years ago.

Here are some things I need suggestions on....

Right fork is blowing oil ,seal probably gone, where is best place to get rebuild kit or parts to rebuild, also thinking about progressive springs as long as I am taking it apart so I can disregard the air fork part, any source?

Who has the best price, shipping costs on OEM parts, some rubber parts need to be replaced, most dealers seem to be able to get them but prices vary a lot...

Petcocks need at minimum the rubber "valve" with the holes in it, one is completely gone, O ring looks like common part, probably get a neoprene one at hardware store....any rebuild kits available that are good, might be better way to go....

Will post later on what I plan to do to reline tank, rusty mess inside but outside is perfect, orginal gold flake black paint, must save this one.

Thanks again for all the help, need to go meet a buddy for beer and burgers.....

Make sure you get OEM fork seals. They are available from Bike Bandit, and they carry petcock kits also. It is better to pay a little more for OEM, than to do the work two or three times in a short period, because of poor quality of aftermarket seals. There is a seller on e bay, georgefix, and sells lots of rebuild kits, but most online stores will have them.

Comment

I'm baaaaack!!!! and need some advice...

Kind of fell off the site here, got the bike running well and just rode it until too cold, into the second week of restoration. All major problems fixed, forks, brakes (mostly) etc. Now just into detailing it.

Clear coat on covers pretty bad, read the tech advice but any updates on best way to remove and polish?

Also tach bezel appears to have some discoloration on the inside of the glass/clear plastic, any way to get to that, rubber ring that holds it in place seems way to rigid to remove.

Also got my personalized license plate, XS 11 !!!!

One more, would like new brake lines, should I try to find OEM or where can I get braided lines, would like bolt on if available.

Thanks, can't wait to go ride this spring with some of my Harley buddies, have not done that yet, looking forward to the first stop light!

Comment

Ron,
        Try Boston Motors Yamaha ( www.bostonmotorsyamaha.com ). I just ordered gaskets and exhaust nuts (really hard to find). They had all the parts I needed. Their parts fiche has good diagrams. Parts that are available will have your price and Yamaha part #. I found them to be very reasonable.
        Larry/Crossville, TN
        80 XS11 Midnight (el gallo negro)
        80 XS850S
        79 XS750S
        79 XS650
        77 RD400
        80 SR500
        et al

Comment

Hey Ron,

Welcome back, congrats on your success so far! There's lots of info in the tech tips FROM THE MAIN FORUM PAGE, not just the links in the left yellow column!! Like this one about repairing tach needle and face , it's not a rubber bezel, it's METAL/painted, and you'll need to PRY it off from the back side! There is a rubber cushion around the inner gauge housing, also replaceable with material from Lowes!!!

OEM brake lines are just about as expensive as Braided SS, and I've recently checked BikeBandit and such, and the lower sections are listed as discontinued anyways!!

With HELUSA.com , site I used, I was able to get custom COLORED lines. He doesn't charge for length, just number of lines, so you can replace the "T" fitting and run 2 long lines from MC to calipers for front, using a longer banjo bolt....HELUSA will provide the bolt, washers. This will save you 1/3 the cost! Just need to contact them and tell them you want custom lines, not the premade ones from their kits! There are several other suppliers and brands out there, your choice and search, I just have experience with HELUSA!!

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Two lines from MC?

Do you move the T fitting to the MC? Trying to understand how to connect two lines to MC? Does helusa send them with fittings installed, and what size fittings for XS? Thanks.

Comment

IF you'll look at the "T" fitting, it incorporates a longer bolt to connect both down tubes to the "T" fitting. You loose the "T" fitting, run 2 full length lines from calipers up to the MC, and use a simlar LONG bolt to mount both hose eyebolt ends into the output of the MC. Yes, HELUSA will provide the longer needed bolt. But you'll want to measure the FULL length to get the correct size length for the 2 lines. They take the same size as the OEM, 10mm...see description of MC!

I replaced my rear line as well with just a single SS line, but the rear is so much shorter, and has a solid metal section in it, and so there's less actual soft line to expand, so you may not need to replace it. I just did for color matching!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
              X