Something fuel. I suppose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something fuel. I suppose?

I just bought my first bike, XS1100F, it would not Idle when I first got it. I had fuel flowing from the airbox (float stuck open) when running. Today I took the carbs apart, did not want to get too deep, (want to rideNOW!!). Anyway, I found the problem float(#3) thanks to the "Blow in the fuel line, turn carbs upside down one doesn't close". Anyway, I sync'd the carbs useing the bread
    wire presync method. I could tell something was wrong before I reinstalled the carbs. What I noticed, was the butterflys were almost closed before the Main Idle screw even got close. But being the novice, I went ahead and installed the carbs. All said and done, I crank it up ran good except the RPMs were running at 5k, blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I immediately hit the kill switch. None of this bothers me too much, because of this web site, I know it will get better. Thanks, for letting me vent, when I actually have a question, I will ask.
    Thanks, Dupman

Re: Something fuel. I suppose?

Originally posted by dupman
    I just bought my first bike, XS1100F, it would not Idle when I first got it. I had fuel flowing from the airbox (float stuck open) when running. <SNIP> What I noticed, was the butterflys were almost closed before the Main Idle screw even got close. But being the novice, I went ahead and installed the carbs. All said and done, I crank it up ran good except the RPMs were running at 5k, blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I immediately hit the kill switch. None of this bothers me too much, because of this web site, I know it will get better. Thanks, for letting me vent, when I actually have a question, I will ask.
    Thanks, Dupman
    Hey there Dupman,
    Well, we have a few questions, what's the history of the bike, like how long had it sat without running, how many miles?

From what I was taught, blue smoke usually indicates presence of oil in combustion chamber, could be worn rings, stuck oil rings, leaky valve seals, or even just the oil that the P.O. might have sprayed into chambers for storage???

As for carbs, my butterflies DO shut all the way, that way the air and gas goes thru the idle circuit, but if you have the idle screw set to keep them open a little, then that can give you the high RPM, back the screw off so that it doesn't open the butterflies, then try to start using the CHOKE, see if will run and idle, then get it warmed up and slowly push the choke in first stage then second so that you aren't using any choke and see if it will idle, then if not, you can then turn the throttle idle screw to open the butterflies a little to simulate opening the hand throttle to get it to idle, however the carb gurus will tell you that you will need to work on a thorough cleaning and then adjusting the actual idle needle screw that sits atop the throat of the carb near the intake to engine boots mounting. Okay, I'll shut up, congrats, happy riding!!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X