rear brake caliper "screw"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake caliper "screw"

I put new brake pads on the rear of my 81 XS Special, 6 days ago. They've been working fine. I've probably about 2-300 miles on 'em.

"That 'little screw' " on the back of the middle piece; the top of the caliper........a small silver colored screw; "screwdriver head"; about an inch long; when it screws in, the end of it is on the inside of the caliper to "catch" the "hole loop" at the top of the inside new pad > the pad closest to the outside of the rear wheel. (?) What is that screw there for? what duz it do? I "studied and studied" the use for it, when I assembled everything back together; couldn't unnerstan' whut it was for..........???????????????? Now, this has really got me bothered for two reasons: 1. I've done this job numerous times in the past; the question never "jumped" into my brain before. Reason No.2 ; today, I happened to eyeball the area in the back of the caliper, to see "if the screw was behaving"; doing it's mysterious job. It was gone. Had loosened and vibrated out.

Today I got two "different" types of screws ; that I like the looks of, better, to screw into the same hole. Will probably put one of them in, tomorrow, with a lock washer............................................ ...........

Whut duz that screw do? whut's it there for?
    JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
    7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

That screw holds the universe together, for god's sake put it back!

Seriously, it's there to keep the pads in tension against the springy plate thingy that sits on top of the pads. I assume (?) the springy plate thingy helps cut down on squeal.

Comment

yeah

yeah, there is supposed to be a plate spring, keeping vibration down, The screw is m5x.8 pitch, Get a socket head screw(stainless) from Ace Hardware, I just did the 3 calipers a couple days ago, no more stripped philips problem....
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Randy, and Xschop; I appreciate your info > maybe you can tell me more about these caliper spring clips. In 11 years of non-stop ridin' activity with these XS's, I've done brake jobs on front and rear, and discovered these clips, sometimes not there, or bent, or broken. Can we get these new from the dealers? Are there any threads showing pictures of 'em, hooked up or clipped up, like there supposed to be?

Also, on this latest rear brake pad replacement, I installed the "stick-on-vinyl-shims" to the back of the pads. What's the advantage with or without (In yer opinion)?
        JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
        7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

If that screw wasn't there to hold the spring up at the top of the caliper it would sooner or later end up jammed up with the pucks when they wore to the point that it could fall out of place.
          Rob
          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
          X