xj1100 Ignition Unit Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj1100 Ignition Unit Replacement

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a 82' Yamaha XJ1100. Two out of the four cylinders are firing, I think it is the ingition unit, is there a replacement unit? Ingnition unit Type TID14-10,10M-1D 202

I'm not near the bike, its in the State of Washington. I had to leave the bike there.

Which two are firing? #1 & 4 are fired by the same coil, and #2 & 3 are fired by the other. If the misfiring pair is #1 & 2 or #3 & 4 then it is a fuel problem.
    The ignition modules for the XJ are very hard to find, as they were only sold in the US for one year and in Canada for three years.

Comment

Hi,

Welcome to the show!

Unfortunately, not being near the bike makes it difficult to diagnose your problem. Most ignition troubles are not caused by the TCI box, but by the other components in the ignition system ( pickups, coils, plugs, etc. )

You didn't mention WHICH two cylinders are not firing. This is important because if it is one of the outside pairs (1&2 OR 3&4) then your problem may be fuel related, (petcock, fuel line)

If the pair of cylinders that is not firing is 1&4 OR 2&3, then you do have an ignition problem.

Either way, we need you to be at the bike if we're ever going to be of any help.

Comment

geez, John, you type too fast!

Comment

I switched the coil pairs 1 & 2 with 3 & 4 and still two out of four cylinders were firing, I don't think its fuel related.

Comment

and I don't think its the coils, I've switched them around as well.

Comment

Is there a way to test if its the pickup? Which I think I tested. It was a year ago.

PS thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Originally posted by myxj1100
                I switched the coil pairs 1 & 2 with 3 & 4 and still two out of four cylinders were firing, I don't think its fuel related.
                You say the coils are attached to #1 & 2 and #3 & 4? That's not correct. #1 & 4 are on the same coil and #2 & 3 are on the other one. There should be some numbering on the plug wires. As far as fuel goes, # 1 & 2 are fed by the same fuel line and #3 & 4 are fed by the other one. Which cylinders weren't firing? Knowing that will help trouble shoot the problem.

Comment

Your right #1 & 4 and #2 &3 are pairs, my mistake. One and Four are not firing, but when I switch the coil units one and four do fire.

first test
                  #1 & 4 with the coil for 1 & 4
                  #2 & 3 with the coil for 2 & 3
                  cylinder one and four not firing.
                  second test
                  #1 & 4 with the coil for 2 & 3
                  #2 & 3 with the coil for 1 & 4
                  cylinder two and three not firing.
                  third test
                  #1 & 4 with the coil for 1 & 4
                  #2 & 3 with the coil for 2 & 3
                  but this time I switch the leads to the coils
                  cylinder two and three not firing.
                  fourth test
                  #1 & 4 with the coil for 2 & 3
                  #2 & 3 with the coil for 1 & 4
                  Leads to the coils still switched
                  cylinder one and four not firing.

Comment

The problem may be with the pickup coils. Have you tested them? They are under the left side engine cover. I know you're not with the bike, but if you get back to it, and you find that the pickups are bad, I just happen to have a set that were good when I parted out a couple of XJ's. You may be able to try using a module from an XS, just to see if all four cylinders will fire. The bike should run with it, but not very well, but maybe well enough to test the pickup coils. I don't know how to test the pickups, other than to check for continuity. Randy could probably help you out better than I can with that procedure. You may have a broken wire to the pickups.

Comment

Thanks John, I think I tested the Pickups. I'm not sure I remember how or what I found out. I think it was with a voltometer. I'm not sure.

I can make a call and have this tested, but how?

From what I understand that sends a timing signal to the Ignition Unit?

Comment

How do I get a hold of Randy?

Testing the Pickup coils sounds good, and testing the wire leads. What should they be reading?

Comment

Where's Randy?

Just look him up in the members section. (tab at the top of this page), Click on the R nad scroll down until you see his name, and send him an email or PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X