• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaky cam chain tensioner again

sorry guys, i looked at the previous threads and found fixses,

i tried to ignore it,

i tried to deny it,

i tried wiping it and hoping it would go away,

but now i want to take it for a longer trip and the above approach ain't gonna work.

why the heck did yamaha, make that thing with a plug, why not just make it solid?

why is it that after i wipe it and not ride the bike, 2 days later there is a puddle?

is the oil still draining from the head to this low spot?

does anyone know if this plug will fly out and pump all the oil out if i don't repair it?

lastly... some guys wipe it clean and smear silicone and it works, this is i like, is it recommended?

thanks guys,

btw been too hot to ride here in los angeles
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Clean the tensioner area with brake cleaner or some other solvent that won't leave a film. Take some high temp RTV and fill the hole, let it set up and ride. Worked for me. Quit whining about being to hot to ride, its been push a 100 here w/90% humidity for a what seems like forever. The morning ride to work ain't bad, but the ride home, stuck in traffic, with a helmet is hell!! Might cool of to 'bout 85 at night, its like riding in a sauna.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

sauna here too

got to 110 here a couple days ago. now just a 90 deg. cold front moving in.....
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150
        Clean the tensioner area with brake cleaner or some other solvent that won't leave a film. Take some high temp RTV and fill the hole, let it set up and ride. Worked for me. Quit whining about being to hot to ride, its been push a 100 here w/90% humidity for a what seems like forever. The morning ride to work ain't bad, but the ride home, stuck in traffic, with a helmet is hell!! Might cool of to 'bout 85 at night, its like riding in a sauna.
        i ride with protection, not like some of those more daring types with shorts , wife beaters and flip flops, when i'm cooking in the gear, my attention wanes, and i think it could cost me my life? am i a woossie?
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Re: sauna here too

Originally posted by xschop
          got to 110 here a couple days ago. now just a 90 deg. cold front moving in.....
          what cold front? this is global warming, it's forever....ha ha
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150
            btw there isn't really a hole the plug is still there do i just silicone over the plug with a thin layer?
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

plug

your plug is cracked/separated on the outter circumference.take it all the way out, carb clean, let dry then put new hi temp Si. In your california heat, should be able to ride in @ 1 hour....
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

My E was leaking from the cylinder base gasket just below the tensioner. Drove me nuts(er) trying to stop my tensioner from leaking.
                Oil was only leaking when it was running and for a few minutes after. It was comming out as the oil (not under pressure) was running from the cams back to the oil pan.
                A little RTV forcefully smeared on the seam stopped the leak last year.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                  My E was leaking from the cylinder base gasket just below the tensioner. Drove me nuts(er) trying to stop my tensioner from leaking.
                  Oil was only leaking when it was running and for a few minutes after. It was comming out as the oil (not under pressure) was running from the cams back to the oil pan.
                  A little RTV forcefully smeared on the seam stopped the leak last year.
                  there is a droplet of oil from the tensioner, not the oringed adjuster bolt(dry) nor the tensioner to clylinder surface(dry)
                  i believe it's the black plug i hope...
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Mason, The plug is still available. You can buy a new plug, and install it with Yamabond 4 or 5. The 5 will harden and make removing anything very hard.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

thanks guys the plug looked like it was in good cond, and the silicone worked, no drip...hope it holds
                      History
                      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                      79 yamaha xs1100f
                      03 honda cbr 600 f4
                      91 yamaha fzr 600
                      84 yamaha fj 1100
                      82 yamaha seca 750
                      87 yamaha fazer
                      86 yamaha maxim x
                      82 yamaha vision
                      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

&quot;Plugging the plug hole&quot;

The crankcase will build up a decent amount o' pressure at sustained highway speeds(90+). I stopped at a gas station during a long trip, and found that the tensioner plug was about ready to fall out.
                        Placed two pieces of baling wire across the plug and clamped them to the tensioner body with a small hose clamp.
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

what

I thought that the breather housing let off the pressure in the crankcase....
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

For the most part it does. (Yes, my breather system is clear)
                            I can see a leaking plug, but could figure nothing else that would push the plug out of the hole like it did.
                            My high speed cruises also brings about a small leak from the base gasket in the rear. Yes, at speed the engine is running hotter than usual, and I'm sure it's also tempurature/metal expanding related, but the extra crankcase pressure sort of helps explain both.
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                            X