Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to get grounded

Hey,

I have been having charging problems with my XS and can't seem to figure it out. People keep mentioning that there may be a grounding issue. Keep in mind that I don't know alot about things electrical. How many grounds are on this bike and where could I find them. If I knew this I may be able to clean them up and see if this is the issue. I would really really appreciate the answer to this one. Summer is running out fast.

Thanks for everything so far and in the future, you guys are great.

Jason
    She's ready
    1980 XS1100G

If you were more specfic about your charging issues, we will be able to help more. You getting low charge, high charge, no charge? Check ALL connections at your battery first. Do not assume they look good. Take em apart, clean and reattach. Look at your cable condition also, replace if there even the slightest suspect. Clean the connections at your regulator/rectifier also. Is your battery good? If you can, measure voltage at the battery at idle and around 2k. Let us know what you find out.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Sorry,

I am getting no charge. I have some melted wiring behind the fuse block which I have to tackle as well. The battery is brand new and the battery connectors look good. Starts great and runs good just no charge, no head light, and no tach. I will clean up connectors you mention asap and see what happens, but also wanted to check all grounds to make sure no culprits.

Thanks,

Jason
      She's ready
      1980 XS1100G

Comment

Tackle that mess behind the fuse block and back to us. There is a frame ground where the Volt/reg is screwed onto the frame. There is an engine-to-frame ground, a big strap, in front of the battery box. There is also that location where the negetive terminal attaches to the frame.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

GUys,

It turns out that two of the three grounds were very rusted. See I told you I wasn't very bright, smart like dumptruck. I have cleaned up the mess behind the fuse block and am now tackling the rusted grounds. The two affected was the negative battery cable and the engine to frame strap. If these two were not getting a good ground would that cause the no charging issues and no headlight and tach? If I fix these and there is still no charging should I replace the regulator/rect. I hope this works though. I'll let you know.

Sorry to be a PITA.

Thanks again,

Jason
          She's ready
          1980 XS1100G

Comment

Hey Jason,

Poor grounds can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins, including poor charging! IF you're not charging once you get the connections all cleaned up, there is a troubleshooting tech tip in the Tips section for NOT CHARGING! Then post back here what you find according to your tests! Don't spend $$ until you know what's wrong!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X