Best Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Exhaust

I've looked at the FAQs and done a search but I have to ask, what is the best aftermarket pipes you can buy? I want something a little louder....ok...alot louder. I just bought this bike a while ago and this winter I want to do some work on it and one of the things I want to do is replace the exhaust. I'd like 4-2 and I like the "turned out" look but I really just want it louder and meaner sounding. Give her a little bark to go with her bite . I would also be concerned about blueing and centerstand access. Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mortman22; 07-24-2006, 09:18 AM.
    Jake
    82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

I forgot to ask if this can be done with Bolt-ons?
    Thanks
    Jake
    82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

You have limited choices for aftermaket system on rigs this old. Try Mac or Jardine systems.
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

i was going to say mac and jardine but since you want the 4 into 2 mac makes a system that is the turndown style your looking for but if you want 4 into 1 go with jardine and mac does blue easy so make sure you put some anti blue on them befoe you install them
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

My special has a 4-1 Kerker. It sounds 20% faster over 3000 rpm.

I know, not really what you were looking for, but another muffler name to go searching for.
          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Don't forget Motad.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey Mortman,

What condition are you headers in?? IF they are still good with good chrome, then you can take OFF your OEM mufflers and get some Bolt/clamp on mufflers in the turn out style from several sources. The blueing effect comes from the single walled pipes now made. The OEM's are double walled, so IF you can use the, DO!! Also, that will allow you to keep your OEM crossover which helps maintain your low end grunt!!

Old Bike Barn has several styles at modest prices for the clampon mufflers!

Otherwise, as stated, MAC makes a 4-2 with turn out style, but the pipes will probably turn on you. Being new pipes, I've seen and heard of places that can ceramic coat or other type of coating on the inside of the pipes which can insulate the pipes keeping the heat in them, not letting it get to the metal shell, and then out the pipes which would prevent the color change of the chrome!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Surperb advice T.C...............if stock system is going 'south'..........you got a big kudo from me on that one!
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

My pipes are fine, just a hint of color. The mufflers are fine too, just want a differant sound.
                  Jake
                  82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

I put mac's on mine, I love the looks of them.

Mac's 4-2 (On my money pit)
                    Rick Wood
                    XJ1100 (Construction Complete)(SOLD)
                    Northern Michigan

Comment

Thanks alot, hey while I'm here, do you know what causes the colors on my headers? They're gold and a little bit blue. but not alot, just starting to turn, anyway to stop the progress? Thanks

P.S. Those turn outs look awesome
                      Last edited by Mortman22; 07-24-2006, 09:11 PM.
                      Jake
                      82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

Forgot to ask, if I just put new mufflers on will I have to rejet the carbs? And if so, is it a job I can do on my own, I'm pretty good with a wrench but getting into carbs sort of scares me. I did it on my 72 yamaha dirt bike when i was a kid but that only had one and it was probly a lot simpler. Thanks
                        Jake
                        82 XJ1100 "Slave One"

Comment

Same, only have remove carb bank, then remove bowls(our moto-bikes have Keihn carbs, so only have to remove plug from bottom of bowl to change main jet), main jet at same location on Mikunis, and they use the large mikuni.
                          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

on the cheep side

The mufflers are fine too, just want a differant sound
                            on the cheep side

Drill/modify baffel in your current muff............
                            If you do, start small, can allways make a hole bigger, pain to make smaller

mro

Comment

On your headers, someone correct me if I am wrong, the gold color is from chrome polish. My headers were bluing and I polished them with some chrome polish and shortly after in the high heat areas, they turned gold. My bluing was from a lean mixture caused by cracked carb intake manifold boots making the exhaust hotter than normal.
                              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X