new ride - different handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ride - different handling

I've had an 82 XJ for 3 years now and it's down for repair so I bought a 79' XS and got it to go.. The steering feels noticably "heavier" than the XJ. Is this normal? It has a windjammer fairing that might make a difference but I'm more concerned with it being the steering head bearings or something like that. How do you diagnose that?

Tom B.

The XJ, like the Specials, has the axle mounted in front of the forks. All of the Standards have the axle monted directly in line with the forks. I've never understood steering technology enough to really sort out rake angle and trail, but that's where the two types are different. When I ride Black Ice, an '80 Midnight Special, I also notice it has quite a different feel than either of our two standards. There may in fact be nothing wrong with your '79. What you might be experienceing is the difference in geometry between a standa rd and a special.

Any geometry pros want to join in here?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey Ken and Tom,

Definitely not a pro, but getting more experienced and knowledgable every day!!

The Specials have the position of the fork tubes in TT's, closer to the steering neck since the axle is sitting in front of the fork tubes. The Standards have the fork tubes a bit further away from the Steering neck since the axle is on the bottom of the forks. The actual angle of each standard and special TT"s and the fork tubes are the same! The offset of the TT's balances the offset of the position of the axles on each model, so each one ends up with the SAME trail and rake angle.

So..theoretically they should have the same steering feel, but the Standard's further out positioned fork tubes "I think" still contribute to a heavier feel. But I have to say that several of the Specials that I got a chance to ride at XS East also felt very heavy!

So....Tom, your steering head TT nuts might be a bit too tight, or the bearing grease may be getting dried up which could contribute to heavier steering feel?

Jack up the front of the bike on the center stand, so that the front wheel is just off the ground. Now center the handlebars and then give them a light tap, and the bars should turn to full stop. IF they don't...just stop turning a few inches after you tap them, then the bearings may need cleaning, regreasing, and the tightness of the nut adjusted!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The special and the standard have the same rake and trail.
        The special does have the axle leading the fork tubes and a 'shallower' triple tree. Thus the steering geometry is the same. Any differences are with bearing wear, lube, fork spring wear, seals, fork oil, tire, inflation. That's what gives each bike a different 'feel'.

"Rake" is an imaginary line thru the steering head axis extending to the ground. Rake is measured in degrees from vertical.
        "Trail" is the distance from where the rake angle intersects the ground and a point on the ground where the vertical plumbline of the front axle intersects, measured in inches (or millimeters)
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

very good Pat, nice responce
          the only part that i could add would be the difference in the handle bars shape and width, the weight from the big chunk of plastic/fiberglass/steel support that is the windjammer fairing sitting right over the front wheel and the difference in the seating position puts the riders weight in a different place.

Comment

But by the axle being mounted in front of the fork, the Special has caster, the standard doesn't.

The wheel does't turn around a center point, but that point sweep out an arc as the wheel turns.

Steve
            80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
            73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
            62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
            Norton Electra - future restore
            CZ 400 MX'er
            68 Ducati Scrambler
            RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
            X