Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ken Talbot

Comment

Don't want to appear DUMB ... but what advantage is there to lowering the bike on the forks? Is this a style option or does shorting the forks in this manor make the front end more rigid?
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

does shorting the forks in this manor make the front end more rigid?
        .. yes, it makes the forks slightly more ridged, plus it shifts the vehical weight forward slightly, and it changes the the forks rake slightly. each one of these slightlys, by themselves, doesnt make very much difference. but all together they make a difference you can feel towards a better handling bike, for beating up corners that is.
        ..that is a great looking bike, isnt it.

Comment

It is in deed a FINE looking machine and the owner even has a header pipe with balanced header lengths. That's something i could not find. The forks on that bike look to be up over the triple tree a far amount.
          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
          1978 XS500E
          1979 XS1100F Restored
          1980 XS1100 SG
          1981 Suzuki GS1100
          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

This is a bit off topic, but if you like the look of the headers from that angle, you should see what he did on the other side:

Notice the footpeg and brake lever too?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

can someone out there let me email pics of my ride and post them for me i am not to good on the computer i have ben to sights and the how to section if someone will i will email my pics i want some feedback on my bone yard bike

Comment

What I like about his Pipe is that all the header pipes all of equal length. My MAC pipe was manufactured to allow cam chain adjustment and oil filter removal so the header pipes are of different lengths. I'm sure it makes a difference but how much .. I am not sure.

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I took a closer look at my forks this morning and i can see that at some point in the past these forks were in deed up higher in the triple tree by what looks like about an inch.
                  To do this again should I just loosen off the triple tree bolts and let the bike settle to the position I want the forks in? Or do I have to take the front end apart? I could put it on main stand and use a jack to control the bikes weight while doing this.
                  Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                  1978 XS500E
                  1979 XS1100F Restored
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  1981 Suzuki GS1100
                  1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

hey caferacer.

email me some pics to bgrubb7@hotmail.com, and I'll get them posted for you. I think I've seen your bike around town, and it definately needs to be shared with everyone here.
                    '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Dose anyone know what brand of header that is???

Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Ken, nice bike how much ground clearance did you lose and how much did it lower the front of the bike? I'm desparate to do my own version of this mod.
                        I suprised that no one has tried the FZR600 forks they are cheap and plentiful also 39mm VS. 37mm for the XS11 and four piston calipers. They may be a bit too short though and that's the nature of my questions thanks.
                        Cheers, 50gary

Comment

A 2 mm difference could likely be corrected by a machine shop using an XS11 triple tree. The right shop could do it. How much shorter are these forks?
                          Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Originally posted by 50gary
                            Ken, nice bike how much ground clearance did you lose and how much did it lower the front of the bike?
                            Sorry, 50gary, that's actually Denny Zander's ride. I've seen it in person a few times but have never got around to measuring clearances to see how it compares to stock. What I can tell you is that whatever clearance he may have lost has not slowed him up in the corners at all. I last about half way through the fist good corner and he is gone, and I'm not seeing a big shower of sparks!
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

I forgot to mention it but I just sold that very same exhaust can on ebay, it's from a Yamaha R1 titianium OEM about 2001. they're pretty heavy actually. I'm looking for just asteering stem, no triple clamps, anybody have one cheap? I have an XS11 '78e. Could that be the same as the XS850 stem?
                              Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Working...
                              X