79 XS muffler alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 XS muffler alternatives

I have heard and seen others using Harley Sportster mufflers on their XS. What year or size is the right one? Does it require a jetting change? Do they mount right up? How much do they run typically? I'd be looking for a used set - maybe they're available from local shops??

Tom B.

I paid $20 for a pair of like new Sportster mufflers off eBay but I've heard that if you visit a Harley shop and tell them you're fixing up an old ratty Sportster, they'll give you a pair. On the other hand if you tell them that you're going to put them on a Japanese bike, be repaired to shell out some bux.

I had a set of stock standard pipes on the Mongrel that were well rotted out and I cut them off leaving several inches of the old muffler. I then slit the bottom of the old muffler cone and rolled it down to fit the new mufflers so I wouldn't need a pipe adapter. After that it was a direct bolt up and no jetting change was required.

I lost the crossover pipe so I may have also lost a little bottom end power but I haven't noticed it. They look good and sound great but not too loud.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I did not like the look of the Sportster mufflers so here is the fix I used on my 80g. You specified which model of 79 you have but the work would be the same, mufflers would be a different length.
      JC Whitney markets a buch of different mufflers. I purchased a pair of the "extra long" style for my standard G. At the time I purchased them they ran about $50 each. I cut the pipes just in front of the factory crossover. I purchase two adapters to bring the od of the factory pipes down to the id of the replacement mufflers. So far, so good. I slide the new mufflers on and eyeballed the rear mounting brackets. I was able to modify them with a little bending to allow the new mufflers to mount. Things you need to watch out for is clearance between the muffler and the axle bolt and room for the rear brake pedal to have enough travel. If you pick the shorter mufflers that stop before the axle bolt, things are a little easier. I did do a little grinding on the rear brake pedal to gain more clearance and be able to keep the pipe tucked close to the frame. Also had to fabricate a "stop" for the centerstand. This was all easier than it sounds. The JCW mufflers closely resemble stock in appearance. The initial exhaust note was a little raspy but now that I have a few thousand miles on them they sound fine. Soon as I figure out my digital camera and can pry the computer from my young lass, I will post pics.
      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

.. i have used the sportster muffs before and i think they look pretty good. people usualy have there pig muffs replaced[for louder ones] within the first 500 miles, then they leave them at the cycle shops and the shops end up throwing them away. i suggest that you make sure that you get the sportster muffs and not the dyna muffs. the sport muffs have a welded tab sticking up from the back of them. the dyna muffs have a slide channel on the back side. i have taken these two different muffs apart and the sport muffs have more holes in the baffles then the dyna muffs, more holes = better flow. also you dont want muffs from an 03 or newer sport, they have cross over holes, unless you are up for adding a cross over pipe. you could score a set from ebay or your local pig shop for about 20 bucks.

Comment

It sounds like there's some cutting involved in fitting the Sporty mufflers up?? Are there any options for just slipping into the the stock pipe? For $20 I guess you can't go wrong even if there's a bit of cutting involved. I'll have to track some down this weekend if I can't find a bolt on option. I don't think the mufflers on my bike are stock based on photos I've seen on this site. The brochures show a stock pipe with a "bevel" at the end - mine are flared out, not in... Make sense? What could mine be from?

Tom B.

Comment

The Harley mufflers are for a larger diameter pipe and if you don't leave a stub of the old muffler when you cut it off the factory pipe, you will need a pipe adapter.

I don't know about the quality of JCW mufflers but the one time I ordered from them they charged my card several times and I had a bitch of a time sorting it all out. I won't buy from them again no matter how bad I want the part.

Geezer

Comment

The glass-pack types absolutely suck. I could not tune the carbs to get the big dead spot out of the mid range rpms... and I mean big.

Originally posted by Geezer

I don't know about the quality of JCW mufflers but
              Geezer
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Don't know about the grief you had with them billing you. I have not had a problem, yet. The mufflers I got were not glasspacks and to date are holding up well as far as finish and exhaust note. Did not have to frig with carbs after I put them on either. No bog or flat spots anywhere between idle and "oh ****". Maybe I just got lucky?

Comment

roadking mufflers

I've got a co-worker with the original roadking mufflers off of his bike I'm going to check out this weekend. I'll give a report of whether they'll fit up or not.

Tom B.

Comment

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I guess it's better than starting a new one...

I'd like a bit "throatier" sound on my XJ1100. I'm considering HD fat boy pipes, unless of course someone wants to talk me out of it...

I'm getting a little confused doing the research as to where to cut, what adapter I'll need, and how to actually install these.

Anyone have any good pictures that can show an idiot like me how to do this? Will I need to mess with the carbs after they're installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I don't know if the fat boy mufflers would give you a better exhaust note, but they may look out of place on your rig. As I mentioned before, check out the JCW or EMGO mufflers. Maybe you could attack your current mufflers with a drill? I recently drilled some extra holes in the end of my JCW mufflers and not only got a "deeper" exhaust note, my idle smoothed out and I swear it redlines faster.

Comment

Well, as a lot of people have said, I'm really nervous about getting pipes that are too loud. My neighbor has a HD and I cringe everytime he fires up and blasts down the road.

I like a thicker, throatier, deeper sound..but I don't want to be HD loud. So, having said that, what are the best options for my XJ1100? Keeping it simple of course...

Comment

The stock pipes aren't Harley loud and that's why they're available dirt cheap. One of the first things Harly rider changes are the mufflers and sometmes the pipes too.

I have sportster mufflers on the Mongrel. It sounds nice and isn't clost to loud. I've taken it on a few longish trips and at high speed the wind is louder than the exhaust.

Geezer

Comment

Sportster muffs

I got 'em off Ebay. Local exhaust shop installed them, made the adapters, got Harley muff clamps, and he welded up a bracket that fits the original mounting point perfectly. They work fine, no crossover is no problem. Compared to stock sound, it's about the same volume but a slightly lower pitch. I like the look OK, but I'm thinking about getting some of the shark fin long ones for my bagger. SWMBO thinks it sounds friendly.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

I just picked up a pair of Sportster muffs off of eBay for $9.99. Not quite new condition, but if I like them, I'll get better ones.
                              1979 XS1100 SF
                              Under Construction,
                              Due out by Spring '07
                              "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Comment

Working...
                              X