still stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey XSRoss442,

That's great!!! Now check out this thread about MikesXS coils and you can save lots of $$ and get your problem fixed!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

t.c. thanks for the tip i checked out the site and saw the plug wires part #23-2902 are these the wires i should use? and cap part#23-3113.
      one day im gonna ride it

Comment

xsross442;

I don't get it. Both coils showed a dead short? That would be strange. The only thing common to both coils is the ballast resistor. Are you running with the ballast resistor or not? If not, they may overheat. 1.6 Ohm coils will need the resistor. 3 Ohm coils do not need the resistor.

Proceed carefully lest you fry another set of coils ( or your TCI )

Comment

i know this is very very odd if my father inlaw was not with me when i tested them i would still be second guessing myself. the only thing i can figure is that the insulation on the windings is bad and when they get hot they expand and short out. going by t.c. sdvice on the coils i wont need the balast resistor anylonger. i did test the resistanc with the coils completly disconected from the circuit. this i know is strange as most coils show an open when they go bad. i guess ive been lucky that i have not destroyed the tci box.
          one day im gonna ride it

Comment

Hey Ross,

Yes, those are the wires, however, unless you're concerned about radio interference for either your own sound system, or cars near you, you could also use the #23-3114 caps which have NO RESISTANCE. This radio static is also the reason for resistor plugs, so your choice. The radio noise will NOT damage the TCI!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X