No announcement yet.

still stumped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while i have been searching for the cause of the spark issue i have fixed a bunch of lighting problems. bad conections and many bad ground points. the voltage reg. was a early suspect but it seems ok. while ive been testing things i have had the battery on a 10 amp trickle charger as i did not want low voltage to screw me up with false issues. i have now changed all of the bulbs except the headlight. but now i put the headlight assem. back together and had a odd thing happen when i tryed to start it again with the light switcch off the guage lights flickered when it was cranking but when not hiting the start button every thing was normal
    one day im gonna ride it

Comment

Recheck the inline fuses. I had one for my main fuse. Heated up and the plastic melted inside. Sometimes I'd get a connection, some times I wouldn't
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If you forget to screw down the reg/rec connection, the bike'll run like a dog. Don't ask.

Comment

stumped

HEY, Don't know if your bike has this. BUT i just ran into the same problem on my bike. after cleaning all connections and everything , i spoted a relay on left side of frame just over battery on a bracket. assumed it was a relay for lights so didn't bother with it . figured i would get spark first, turns out that relay was my problem. DIDN'T look rusty but it was and it turned out to be in the ign. circuit. pulled apart cleaned ,put back together, SPARK!!!!! CHECK THAT RELAY... TC could tell you what it's for , he 's the guru extreme. man know his stuff.

boyzsblue (leon )
          BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

i have totaly taken apart all of the fuse holders they are clean. as for the relay on the left side there is a molded plastic black rectangle just in front of the battery i can not open. im not sure what it is. it has yamaha stamped on it. i have ordered a clymer service manual i also found that my speedo cable screw conector is broken (i broke the j.b. weld that was holding it on) has anyone dealt with oz cycle salvage in kansas im somewhat leary of ordering used parts online thanks to all of you for your thoughts im going to go check the fuses again.
            one day im gonna ride it

Comment

Hey XSRoss,

That rectangular box is the flasher cancelling unit! In the 79SF and later, there is another little box not covered in Clymers, it appears to be the light checker unit, not to be confused with the RLU! But the light checker unit is also just connected to the LIGHTS, so it's hard to see WHY it would interfere with the igntion circuit??

Hey BoyzBlue,
              Thanks for the comments, but I'm in no way a TRUE GURU! Just an enthusiast with lots of time and a manual by my laptop!
              DiverRay, Prometheus, Randy, GNEPIG, Geezer,Ken Talbot,.....these are some of the Real GURU's that make this site Guru-ate!!
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

check the fuses again???

If you've got inlines, and they've been on there for awhile, may need to check the wire connection going in and out of da fuses.

Can get corrosion there too and make for intermittent problemas.

mro

btw
                TC's new fuse box will fit where original was.

Comment

well get a load of this. i went out there took apart all of the inline fuse holders there was some minor corrosion on a couple of thecrimped ends so i took them apart snipped off the exposed wire recrimped them(just to test) put them back together. turned the key pushed the button and pow she fired right up. 6 times in a row this is a new record. this seems promising but i will try again in the morning. and oh yah no headlight now. go figure. again thanks to all
                  one day im gonna ride it

Comment

t.c. how much do you want for the fuse block? i think you can get my e mail if not let me know
                    one day im gonna ride it

Comment

T.C.'s favorite group: "Humble Pie"

Thanks for the comments, but I'm in no way a TRUE GURU!
                      The man with over three thousand posts now tries to play humble! Take the credit you deserve, T.C.
                      (And as for you puttting my name in the same sentance with those great XS luminaries... well, I'm sure you'll be hearing from them about it!)
                      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Wrong Pro, the Beatles first, then Pink Floyd!

"I get by with a little help from my friends";
                        then "Shine(that chrome) on, you crazy diamond" !

Hey Ross,

Sent you a PM. Now for the headlight, again, check the fuses with an ohmeter, can look good but be bad! Once you are SURE they are all good, then you can eliminate them as a problem. The headlight comes on with the charging system working causing the headlight relay to latch. Could be problems with charging system, could be headlight relay, could be BULB!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

here i go again i got home from work today turned the key pushed the button and it started right up so i shut it off and tried again and it fired up so i went for a ride to the gas station shut it off and guess what? it wouldent start again my wife pulled me home with the car now this is getting old.
                          one day im gonna ride it

Comment

wife pulled me home with the car

What????............

Sure your not trying to ride a hardley

mro

Comment

Re: wife pulled me home with the car

With a tow rope? When you rode it home in tow (?) did you make motor noises with your lips?

Originally posted by mro
                              What????............

Sure your not trying to ride a hardley

mro
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

no i didnt make any sound effects. i just pretended i was on the return road at the drag strip and waved to the crowd that was cheering me on. oh wait they were pointing and laughing and its getting hard to keep the rep. i have with yhe neighborhood kids that think this thing is the coolest bike around. i just got the clymer manual today so im going to start from scratch and re shoot the whole thing.
                                one day im gonna ride it

Comment

Working...
                                X