Throttle Sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Sleeve

I'm replacing my handlebars and grips and was wondering if a new throttle sleeve is necessary. Can I reuse the old one? I looked but didn't find much in the Clymer's manual about this topic.

Also, I was thinking of getting bar end mirrors. Anyone know a good place to get a couple?

Thanks!
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

Not necessary if the bars are the same diameter, 7/8" I'm pretty sure. Mine switched with no problems.
    81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
    sticky side down!

Comment

Corey,
      The old throttle sleeve will work, for the STOCK length grips. If you are going to put in the "new" super bike grips, the sleeve will be a little short.
      The bar end mirrors will have you cut the end out of the sleeve, but you can use a SHARP razer knife for that.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Bar End Mirrors

I recently got some black bar end mirrors from Cycle-Re-Cycle (scroll to the bottom). The price is right and they work pretty good - lots of adjustability. I kinda have the cafe racer look going on my 79F and these mirrors compliment the drag bars. There's some pictures of these same mirrors on a different bike in a fairly recent thread around here - search for bar end mirrors.
        Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

I'm going to have to get some new grips, and I'll try to match the stock size. Wouldn't the shorter sleeve work regardless of the length of the grips?
          Corey J. Bennett
          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Longer grips will work, but you may have a floppy section of grip that extends past the end of the sleeve. If you are putting bar end mirrors on, it's a moot point, becuase you'll be cutting the end off of the grip (and cutting the end cap off of the sleeve). The grip in the left side is not problem - just move the clutch perch up the bar so the new grip can slide all the way on.
            Frank

1979 XS1100F Street Rat

Comment

Working...
            X