Fuel gauge voltage reg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel gauge voltage reg.

Finally got to the point where I would like my fuel gauge to work. Traced it down to a dead fuel gauge voltage regulator. Anyone got one?
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Hey Webbcraft!

Where is it located? I have a couple of Standard tachs available, if that is where they are. Let me know.

BTW... Did you read a few weeks ago that Foster Child grenaded #1 piston? SWMBO was riding it back from Denton, on IH 35 W, about 20 miles from home when it happened. Luckily she was less than a half mile from a truck stop, and she had a friend in a cage riding along with her.
    What kinda POS did you sell me?
    I have a 78 engine cleaned up and ready to go back in, if and when it ever cools off! This 100 degree s#it sucks! I can't even think about working in my garage without sweating like a pig.

Comment

John,
      They are in the Tach. And you cannot buy a "new" replacement. I think Randy was looking into a replacement with an aftermarket voltage reg, but I'm not sure how it's going.
      It would be nice if you could tone down the heat for later next week. I'd like to be able to ride down without baking to a golden brown.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You can buy solid state volt regulators, but the trick is to find the right voltage. If memory serves me, I installed a 7.5 volt regulator where stock specs was for 7.0 volt. Needless to say, it read too high for the existing fuel level. It probably warmed the gasoline though. =8-0
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I have the same problem. How did you check the voltage regulator? If I ground the line to the gauge it pegs the gauge. I believe I checked the continuity through the sender, not sure as the brain isnt to good at memory anymore. I had it reading about 1/2 tank, but nothing again. Thanks.
          1979 XS1100F (runnin the wheels off it)
          1979 XS650 (ran the wheels off it)
          1976 CB550F (ran the wheels off it)

Comment

Skids,
            You could probably put a 2 to 4 Ohm resister in line with the sending unit. That should drop the voltage the proper amount. Just a guess.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

That is just too logical. I believe you could correct it to give reasonable readings. i=v/r since the numerator is a little bigger, you correct the denominator a bit to get the same reading. But when you work out a table between 7 and 85 ohms, stock vs. modified, you see some differences with an exact reading at the crossover point. Maybe visibly it would be good enough and much better than what I had.

Originally posted by DiverRay
              Skids,
              You could probably put a 2 to 4 Ohm resister in line with the sending unit. That should drop the voltage the proper amount. Just a guess.
              Ray
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
                John,

It would be nice if you could tone down the heat for later next week. I'd like to be able to ride down without baking to a golden brown.
                Ray
                Ray, you won't turn golden brown. Being from NoCal, you'll be more like fried to a crisp. This heat is really no fun to ride in...but I still do

Comment

Dear John,

I was saddened to hear of your unfortunate mechanical malfunction. However, I feel that the compensation I recieved for said foster child was comensurate with the product your recieved. Since you trucked it home home and had it running in a matter of hours indicates the product was correctly represented. Myself and those related to this transaction cannot be held liable for product failure since the product herin described as "foster child" was in fact, delivered in a "failed" condition. You promptley correct that "failure" and I am sure reveled in your fortunate find of which you acquired for nominal compensation. Said product has, before this failure, delivered countless hours of pleasure for the party herin described as "the buyer". I am sure that the "buyer", has more than once, cleared the #6 or even 7 on that little round thing that has a red line around the 8. This action shall hold harmless the seller for subsequent failure. I am confident that the "buyer" has the resources to rectify this failure and will soon have aformentioned "foster child" back in an operational condition. To this end, I must respectfully deny any responsibilty for said failure. However, you do have the option of your people contacting my people and pursueing this matter thru the high tribunal of XS11 Gurus. (the voltage regulator is in the tach housing)

Comment

What the he!! language was that?

Are you trying to say that I got one hell of a deal, and was happier than a pig in s#it when I had it running in just a couple of hours? Well, let me tell you something here buster... you're right. Actually, we had taken a ride to West (just north of Waco) earlier that same day, 160 miles round trip. Denton is only around 30 miles to the north. SWMBO rode it to a flute recital she was performing that night. She said the bike acted a little strange just before she got to Denton, and asked one of the other ladies that was performing that night if she would follow her home. Good thing.
                    As far as taking this to the high tribunal of XS guru's, check my post count... I..am... the... high...guru ( insert booming, godlike voice here) You dare to call me out?
                    So, are you interested in a tach?

Comment

(bowing low with face toward the ground) I meant no disrespect to High Keeper Of The Torque Wrench/Guru. Your humble servent simply meant to bring to light the circumstances surrounding the unfortunate demise of said "foster child". Your wrath and anger has bequethed me to tremble in fear of your awe inspiring power. Myself and my family, along with future generations beg your forgiveness for angering you. To placate your wrath, I have pledged to ride to the nearest HD dealer and shout to the harley heathens "any you sissys wanna race" while winding 'er up to 7k and dropping what is left of my clutch, bringing my new Dunlop 491 to a boil that would rival your anger. I also pledge to practice the "pit" maneuver on the next Sportster I catch on the next sweeper. (gimme some time and and can work on the sacraficial virgin thing ) This lowley servent crap has made me thirsty, I'm headin to the garage for another beer!!!

Comment

In case anyone needs a standard tach to correct a faulty fuel gauge I have one left. Complete standard tach works and looks acceptable. andreas

Comment

Originally posted by andreashweiss
                          In case anyone needs a standard tach to correct a faulty fuel gauge I have one left. Complete standard tach works and looks acceptable. andreas
                          ...And there is the perfect fix! :-)
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                          X