I feel really stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel really stupid

I have an 81xs11 H, I thought the left side cover came off when you tured the key to the helmet lock, mine turns till about 2oclock then stops, I dont want to bust the left side cover, But it will not budge, is there a work around for removing the left side cover or in my old age have I fogotten how to remove it.. Either way I feel really stupid for asking, but my shop manual has came in yet..

I've got the same model: There is a lock below the cover, mine has a sliding cover for the key hole. If you are looking at the side cover, it will be below the cover the key hole on your left near the air box.
    81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
    sticky side down!

Comment

"stupid is as stupid does"

.. a smart guy will ask how to do something if he is not sure, no matter how small, someone stupid would have broken off the locking tab on the side cover trying to remove it forcefully. admitting that you dont know something is smart, thinking that you know it all is stupid.
      ..as 81XS has stated, the key lock is located at the lower left of the side cover, it faces forward and has a round, rotating cover over it

Comment

Mine turns almost to 3 oclock before it releases. I would spray it with wd40.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Push in a bit on the bottom of the cover while you turn the key. This takes the tension off of the lock tab and let things move more easily.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Well I'll be dipped, I walked out to the garage at 1230 am, looked down there was the keyslot put the key in turned it and the cover came right off.. I feel like such a dweeb.. Its been 6 years since I had that cover off I completly forgot how it unlocked. Thanks everyone.. You all are great..

Comment

6 years on a battery! 6 years without having to take the battery our for off-season storage and trickle charging! 6 years without having to top up the cells! Geez, even if it was only 2 or 3 years, I'd say you were living on borrowed time. Was there anything left in that battery?
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Oh you and I both wish, the bike was parked six years ago because it would drop a cylinder when it got warm. A bike shop looked at it and couldnt find out why they said it was prob a bad valve and would cost $500 to fix. They did rebuild the brake caliper because the front brakes kept sticking, what it ended up being was trash in the master cylinder, But I didnt know this till I read the how too's on this site. Yamaha wanted $350 just to look at the bike, so I parked it. I found this site about a month ago I have read just about every thread and every how to, I visit just about every day. I was actually looking for another xs11(only operational) when I found this site. If it wasnt for this site I would have no idea whats wrong with the bike and it would still be sitting. Now I know exactly whats wrong with the bike and have ordered about $500 in parts. I am going to rebuild front and rear brakes completly, redo the carbs, put on new intake boots rebuild the petcocks install new fuel lines, clean and coat the inside of the tank, put on the new seat, change the fluids, put on new front and rear tires and last but not least replace the radio.. , then figure out what else I need. Which I hope isnt much. Anyway I owe it all to this site, it has given me the motivation to fix the bike I love to ride. I know this doesnt sound like a task from a idiot that cant figure out how to remove the side cover, but I am going to try anyway.. lol..

Comment

dont forget to check the valve clearances while your at it .if clearance is too low you will lose compression when it warms up
                  79 xs1100 standard
                  76 kz900 <now 1015
                  Terry Meyer

Comment

On my bike (has locks of ff of a '78), the key only goes in about a third of the way. It still turns and unlocks the side cover, but I always seem to forget this when I go to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwilding_2000
                      On my bike (has locks of ff of a '78), the key only goes in about a third of the way.
                      Yes, this is the way the sidecover lock works. The key only goes in part of the way. It can then be a bit stiff to unlock, but you can help that by pushing in on the tab at the bottom of the sidecover while you turh the key. This seems to take some of the tension off the lock mechanism and helps it release easier.

On another note, looking back in this thread, I put the batteries back in Tsunami and Purple Reign last weekend. This will be the sixth riding season for the battery in Tsunami, and the fifth for the battery in Purple Reign. I figure on starting the season this way, but I also figure on replacing both before we head out on the 2008 memorial ride starting out from DennyZ's place in August.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                      X