emergency post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency post

Hey guys, I am out of town, and can't measure the swingarm pivot point length end to end(inches). I have access to a royal star swingarm with the monoshock setup for dirt cheap. Anyone here please reply A.S.A.P.and thanks in advance...chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Xschop,
    Not sure if this is what you need, 16 5/8" from pivot point to axle center is what I came up with. 11 3/4" wide. Hope this helps. Headin' to work. Maybe someone else will jump in?
    Jim
    P.S.----- was a hurried measurement, will double check before i leave the house. will correct if needed-----work can WAIT!!!!!!
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

thanks midnight

thanks alot, looks like the royal star swingarm pivot points are 1" longer. I did'n want to have to cut it down, but thanks for the reply, I am working on a hidden monoshock setup for an xs11....getting close
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop, it's 300mm. All the swingarms I've seen are wider than the XS pivot points.

Comment

Chop, correction, all the swingarms I checked out at bike-wreckers were SHORTER across the pivot points, and were mostly quite a bit longer in length too. Finding a swingarm with the exact 300mm pivot points is the difficult part All the monoshock swingarms were alloy, so cutting off and welding on the XS pivot points to fit wasn't an option, also the L/H pivot point on the XS is too short to cut off and re-attach.

Comment

too short

Yes, I have found the same problem with every swingarm I have ran into but the 1100 virago, which will fit the pivot points, but the length is almost 3 inches longer, I wasn't able to try the xs11 rear drive gear fit on that at the time, but it looked like it would be good to go, just needed to use the virago drive-axle. However I thought the royal star s/a would work but it is 1" wider at the pivot points. So, as the saying goes, Go with the first guess: harley softail shocks mounted underneath.
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Why not just narrow the donor swingarm by the one inch? Check out the virago drive shaft and let the board know that's interesting. I would like the 3" more in the rear and 4" less in the front. How wide of a tire do you think the Virago 1100 swingarm would accept?
              Cheers, 50gary

Comment

Narrowing the virago swingarm would reduce the tyre width to below stock width if the clearance between arm and sidewall is close on a virago, but 1100 viragos only have a 140 rear tyre as standard, so no advantage in using a virago swingarm, as there'd be a lot of work for only a 10mm difference in tyre width, and for it to fit in line with the XS driveshaft position, the wheel would be off-centre. Even if a 150 squeezes in, there's no guarantee the virago rim would fit a 150 tyre, and viragos are twin shock anyway

Comment

P.S. as it's the royal star swingarm you guys meant, they take a 150 rear - if it's possible to take off 1/2 inch either side to fit the XS frame, you'd need to re-machine the swingarm bearing seats, either that, of find shorter bearings to fit, but it's matching up the shaftdrive system that'd be the the next hurdle. Welding on a connection for the monoshock probably wouldn't be too difficult though.
                  Last edited by pggg; 07-07-2006, 08:02 PM.

Comment

virago stretch

the virago s/a would lengthen the wheelbase by 3" if anyone is interested with a 140 tire. This would allow for a monoshock sytem to be installed. I have decided to use the xs11 s/a and reinforce it with mounting points for 2 harley softtail shocks.
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I wondered if the Virago S/'A could be narrowed by maching the outer end of the S/A tube? It wouldn't make any sense to narrow it in the middle. also XSchop suggested that the virago S/A might work withthe XS? I have an XS650 project that I put a FZR600 mono-shock in, it's works great and looks great.
                      Cheers, 50gary[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Comment

Hope this worked Cheers, 50gary

Comment

it would work

Just depends on what you are trying to do. I would like to see a pic of your 650 project. I am eventually going to do a vfr single- sided swingarm on something. I just don't want to mess with a chain-drive conversion and the vfr s/a on the xs11, so am doing the softail conversion with driveshaft, I think this would be even more slick....chop
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                          X