another xs down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another xs down

today my wife and I were riding, the bolt that holds theright front caliper broke and the caliper went st8 to the spokes. she locked up the back tire and layed it down did very little damage, broke the windsheild. we were on a 25 mph road well now the head light doesnt work, I tested it on mine and the light works, the fuse is good but I replaced it anyway and her dash lights dont work ( speedo @ tack) but turn signals do tail and brakes do and the plate light does so were do you suppose the problem is?

What side did she lay it down on? I would look at the wires at the headlight, to see if they shorted or pulled from the plug just a little loose. If she went down on the left side, check the switch assembly on the left side.
    A second thing would be to check the wires under the tank.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

"Most inportantly, you and the wife are OK."

Agree with Ray. Sound like the first thing to look at would be the wiring connectors. Something could have pulled out, or a wire could have stretched, and you may have bare wire grounding to something... headlight bucket?
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

everything behind the headlight was checked and looked good she layed it down on clutch side seat and tank come off today
        thanks

Comment

When you're alone, a back tire skid is controllable. With a second person.. both trying to shift weight and correct by instinct... nearly impossible. Mine (Wife) hasn't ever learned to hold still, so even a slow stroll through a parking lot with her moving around and looking... can be a challenge at times.
          I'm glad you 2 are OK.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

got it fixed she stretched a wire and it broke inside the rubber thank everyone

Comment

Working...
            X