Rusty Fork Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Fork Tubes

I have never posted any messages on a forum before, forgive any errors. I jpurchased a XJ1100J Maxim that was in a container since '93. The bike needed many things and is rusty. I totally rebuilt the solid rusty starter, even rewraping the individual coils and re varnishing tnem . Starter works great now. However the reason I am writing this message is that the chrome on the forks is rusty and I painted with RUST CURE to stop it. Now I want to sand the sharp edges off of the chrome to save the seals temporally, or is there a way to rechrome them?
    Dell82
    Dell82
    Houston, TX
    82' XJ1100J Maxim "LASERMAX"
    SOLD 86' Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1200cc SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, FOR SALE SOLD
    SOLD 82' CB450SC Nighthawk, parts bike SOLD

Hey Dell,

Very fine emory cloth for sanding down the high spots. As for rechroming them, rather expensive proposition. Better IF you want pristine is to get a new set of uppers from Forks By Frank, I think there is a link in the LINKS section, if not, a search should find it, I don't have the link handy on my laptop! Expect to pay around $200-250 for a pair, but well worth it. I got a set of 4" overs for my 81SH, been on there 5 years now, still nice and clean!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

After you finish sanding them you can cover them with Fort boots, Gaitors or seal savers. This topic was cover a few weeks ago, see page #5 of the XS/XJ Discussion Forum.

Big Pat

Comment

Sanding them would likely be a waste of time. I had to replace the forks on Zilla last year. I got a set off ebay that looked good but when I recieved them they had micro pits in the forks, They were so small you could barely see 'em but you could feel them.

Matt buffed them to to a mirror finish. But still within about 500 miles the almost indiscernable pits had breeched the fork seals.

I had two choices. Rechrome them for $150 and take the chance the chrome job would flake over time OR new forks from Forks by Frank. I opted for Frank. They cost $225 TMD (to my door). They are a better inner tube than the original also. The wall thickness of the Frank's look thicker. And from the way they ride are much stiffer. I would recommend these tubes to anyone.

Comment

Much THANKS TO ALL

I will contact Franks tubes about the new ones. also want to ride between replacement and now so will try sanding them with silicone carbide emery so as to cut the chrome protrusions. Boots sound good but will replace before that. again many thanks to all for the help. This wasn't that hard. Will get pix jof the 1100J when presentable.
          Dell82javascript:smilie('')
          smile
          Dell82
          Houston, TX

Comment

I also recommend Franks. I got new tubes for my XJ1100 and they were flawless. Also $225 delivered.
            82 XJ100J Gone
            83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

fork seal replacement

jacksf, did you replace the seals when you put the tubes in, also the boots?
              Dell82
              Dell82
              Houston, TX

Comment

If you go with the re-chroming option, make sure the electroplater you choose does hard chroming as opposed to cosmetic chroming.
                Automotive Imbecile.
                Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Hard Chrome

Stralya, thanks but I will be getting the Franks forks, Stiffer than OEM. After stripping the old chrome and etching before rechromeing may leave the OEM tubes a bit thinner and more springy.
                  Dell82
                  Houston, TX

Comment

Re: fork seal replacement

Originally posted by DELL82
                    jacksf, did you replace the seals when you put the tubes in, also the boots?
                    Dell82
                    Yep, the old forks had torn up the old ones. It was easy, just follow the instructions on the CD. The boots were fine but I replaced them anyway. Also took the lowers and buffed them to a high gloss. Looked great.

Jack
                    82 XJ100J Gone
                    83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Which CD? I am waiting for one from Ricks that is for the Maxim XJ1100J-82, version 4.0
                      Dell82
                      Houston, TX

Comment

Hmmm. I thought it was on the CD but I just looked and didn't see it. I have ver. 3 until I order the new one. I also looked on XS11.com tech tips and didn't see it there either. I have a couple of articles on changing forks, if you want I will email them to you.

Jack
                        82 XJ100J Gone
                        83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

Please send articles because the CD has not arrived yet. Mailed check June 06. cashed June 30. Hopefully the CD will arrive sooner.
                          dell.k@sbcglobal.net
                          Dell82
                          Houston, TX

Comment

Even better, here's the link to the article. You can look it over at you're leisure.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/forkseal.html
                            82 XJ100J Gone
                            83 XJ750 Seca

Comment

found a set of forks at Independent cycle in spokane for $150.00. Just arrived and are great. Absolutely no rust as advertized. I also bought the headlight ears but they are not as good. rust on inside the ears.

Found an XS750e for $500.00. Hard to start but runs. needs rear tire and has rusty forks. Is this a good buy? It hasn't been recked as for as I know.Thanks for all the help.
                              Dell82
                              Dell82
                              Houston, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X