Rear axle reassembly not fitting..!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle reassembly not fitting..!?

OK, so it's about a hundred degrees outside, I've been struggling with my front brakes for over a week to no avail, so I decided to take a break from the brakes before they brake ME, and put my rear wheel back on the bike. ...the problem is, I can't get everything to fit. The final drive splines are meshed, the wheel is slid in there well, and I can't get the caliper, spacer, and bracket all to go on properly! there's just not enough room to squeeze them all in... is it possible that I've just lost my mind?? This stuff all fit before... maybe it's all swelled up in the heat?? maybe I put too much grease on the splines and its acting as a defacto spacer inside the final drive?? WTH is going on here?

...any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Are you loading the brackets and spacers in the proper sequence?

Comment

I believe so... I'm going wheel, spacer with dust collar, caliper, spacer that fits sorta into caliper, bracket, axle pinch thing.

...right..??
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Hey Knewsom,

According to the diagrams/fiche, the wheel, dust cover, and then spacer, and then brake bracket, that's it, not another spacer on the other/outer side of the brake bracket, and then the swing arm which is what I guess you're calling the pinch bolt thing!

You may have to slightly pry the swingarm apart to get the parts in there? But you might want to try pulling the wheel back off of the final drive splines, and then put it back on, rotating it a bit as well. Mine seemed to get hung/stuck at first when I was putting it back on a couple of months ago after regreasing the driveshaft splines!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

maybe I put too much grease on the splines and its acting as a defacto spacer inside the final drive??
          .. i changed my back tire yesterday and had the same problem. i think i put to much grease on too.. like TC has said i just pryed the swing arm over a little bit. you should'nt have to pry it over to much, if you have to pry more than 1/4 inch, then you are not aligned quite right yet. prying the break pads open a little bit helps give you more free movement and will make going back together easier also.

Comment

Here's how things line up on Tsunami:
            Ken Talbot

Comment

hmmm, dang, yep, that's the order I'm goin' in...

*scratches head* weird. I'll try again tomorrow, by taking the wheel off and making sure there's not TOO much grease in there.
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

My first xs11 had some really old and hardened grease in there. You might want to consider cleaning-out the gears and reapply grease if you didn't do that already.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

"I know I shouldn't..."

Hey Ken...,
                  What... they don't sell cans of black spray paint up there in Canada?
                  (snicker snicker)
                  Sorry... I know that you're busy. It's like me using my rear brakes 'cause my fronts squeek and I'm too tired and lazy to knock the glaze offa them.
                  But I couldn't resist the opportunity to sling a barb.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                  X