licence plate mounting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• licence plate mounting?

So, heres the deal. I've got a XJ1100 and I'm wanting to put a bag or maybe even a luggage rack behind my sissy bar. The licence plate, sitting directly above the rear brake light, is right in the way. From what I've seen this is the stock location for it. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on where I could move it to. What have you done to Solve this problem?

Hey Shot,

I think that's why most of the XJ's I've seen with extra storage have added Saddle Bags instead!!
    The 81XS uses a separate light and holder on the end of the fender. Don't know whether one of those fenders would fit on your XJ? Or you might be able to get just that bracket/light holder, and drill hose in your fender and mount it to it!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

On mine, I removed the original license plate mount and fashioned a simple bracket out of a piece if strap steel (or maybe alum, I'd have to look). This lowered the license and made it (mount) narrower enough to mount the simple rack I made.

If your interested, PM me your email address and I'll take some pictures of the setup for you

Louis

"There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
      brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
      '82 XJ1100J
      LED Dir and running lights
      LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
      Modulated H/L
      PIAA Driving lights
      YICS Eliminated
      750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

You could use a tail light from a 79 Special, or one from a Standard. They mount near the bottom of the fender.

Comment

Working...
        X