carbarator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbarator

is there a easy way to set the carbs on my xj 1100j was told could use popsicle stick and match first two ,move on to two and three and then three and four then adjust idle. does this sound right ? i am car savoy but, bike novice when it comes to four carbs.
    PLEASE HELP
    1982 xj1100j

A popsicle stick would be way too wide for an initial setting, but the wire out of a bread tie would work. It will leave the idle way too high, but that is easy to being down. Use the search tab at the top of the page to search for 'bread tie sync' for more detailed information.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I thought the XJ's had some sort of vacuum equalizer-mahicky in the head?
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

You're right - that is the YICS passage and it equalizes the vacuum pulses across the four intake manifolds. If all you're doing is a mechanical sync method like the bread tie trick, you don't need to worry about isolating the manifolds with a YICS tool. To do a proper sync, i.e. with vacuum gauges, you do need to use a YICS tool.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

ok this part is done to best of my ablity, still will not idle w/o
          back firing every 8 to 12 seconds .
          would it be worth while to take it and have them vacum sych. by a
          more quilified tech and what it a reasonable rate .. i.e. can not
          afford to get hosed ...
          1982 xj1100j

Comment

If you can read, you can do it yourself. All the info and help is here. Besides, finding a shop that will touch it, good luck. And, time after time, people on this site have gotten there bikes back from shops running as bad or worse.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Big Mic,
              You may want to try adjusting the pilot jets, after you have the "bread tie" done. Ken had a listing on how to do it in one of these threads. IF you search on "sync", you should come up with a lot of hits. One of the later threads tells how to do it.
              The "Tech Tips" tells how to build the tool for the YICS heads. I think it's only about $10.00 worth of parts, and about 30 minutes of time. The mercury "carb stiks" can be had for about $35 to $45. IF you find a shop that will work on the bike, they will probably charge $150 to sync the carbs, and they may NOT be done correctly!!
              Read through the tech tips, ask questions here, and go for it.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i think you nailed it bike is starting easier and idling a lot better thanks a bunch i think some external fuel filter are in need the third time i took the bowls off i still had some dirt/grit in them...
                any sugg. on cross- reference small engine filter or any thing that
                is working............
                1982 xj1100j

Comment

Any small inline filter. Cone clear plastic filters like on a dirt bike, small plastic inline filters for a lawnmower, etc. Some (OK.. one)even think you SHOULDN'T use an inline filter... but most on here think they are a good idea. Helps keep the crap in your tank from becoming crap in your carbs. You might also do a search on here on ways to clean the gas tank out or line it to reduce or eliminate this crap all together!
                  Save if you need to, but buy the carb sticks. More than likely, this isn't going to be a one time thing. You will occasionally need them again, and even if you found a shop to do it correctly (Doubt it) who wants to pay that over and over through the years. You may get it close with the bread tie, but it will never be really right without a true carb synch.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Do you think the bread tie trick helped with your popping back through the carbs every 8 to 10 sec.? I rebuilt my carbs and have the same problem. Plugs are wet black, exhaust too. It will idle but won't rev up without popping and won't start with "choke" on. BTW, my rebuild kits have pilot jets that are #45 this is a 1978e standard. I was quite careful with the float height adjustments 25.7mm no gasket.
                    Cheers, 50gary

Comment

What brand of kit did you buy? K&L, by chance?

Comment

Working...
                      X