No announcement yet.

count to eleven (stuck at 7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a starter jet circuit diagram, not in the class of TC's or Skids' masterpeices, but it shows the rich fuel flow when the choke plungers are open. If that troublesome cylinder runs on choke but not without, then the pilot/main circuit seems to be blocked alright. Just to be confusing, that 3rd air breather is seperate from the other air jets, but it's just a straight air hole rather than a jet.

Comment

pilot tract clogged, duly noted.

so get this.. the carbs are off for the *third* time, and upon closer inspection, ALL FOUR idle mixture screws have their tips stuck in their respective carb bodies. 2-3 are just able to draw enough fuel to idle, but #1 appears to be fit too tightly. I'll take this as the source of the problem and go from there.

can anyone verify the that idle screws from mikesxs.com will fit our carbs?
      '78 xs1100e (red monster)
      '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

so the pushpin trick's not really working and the hole looks quite a bit mangled now.

since the tip of the screw is so fine, I couldn't get very good contact w/ a tack to push it down. used the tip of a slothead screwdriver to shear it down a bit and smushed the ofice in the process. seems that this pin pushing has enlarged the hole a little bit as well.

what's the other option, drilling? is there anyone in wisconsin who has done this before?

starting to think that $1250 was way too much to pay for this bike!
        '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

I had the same problem

You didn't say what wasn't working with the push pin trick. For me the pins were bending. try using a dental pick to create a dimple in the brass needle. Then is a 1/2" brad and channel locks to press it out. YMMV but that worked for me.

Clark

Comment

well yeah the pins are bending and apparently gouging the rim of that orfice, while the tip of the idle screw gets mashed down into the body without actually moving.
            '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

That's exactly what was happening with mine over the weekend. Take a brad and use channel lock pliers to press it into the hole. It gives you more accuracy than the pushpins and box wrench. Mine popped right out...

Clark

Comment

Once the pins are dealt with, I wouldn't worry about the slightly mangled holes, they're only for idling and a bit more now the idle circuit will be rich which is good news. The bike'll run well even with mangled holes, bet you'll think it's worth $1250 when it's running. To be fussy, squish liquid metal stuff in there, and when semi-set, screw the screws in and out.

Comment

all I could find at farm & fleet were some wire nails, these bent just as quickly or even quicker than the tacks.. honestly, nobody I spoke to at farm & fleet knew what brads were. what kind of world is this turning into?
                  '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

man, this piece of brass is so squashed into this hole and everything I try keeps making it worse. I owe y'all a picture of my efforts to truly see the extent of the damage. has anyone ever drilled their pilot holes or used a reverse bit / easy out?
                    '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

Once the broken end gets all squashed, try a dremel tool with a small round burr to carefully grind away the brass without grinding into the aluminum of the carb throat. This will give you a flat spot again to press against with a pin or a small nail, etc.
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

eh, the throat is pretty mangled now, there's no brass left to grind, just an ugly looking hole where there used to be a clean tiny one. what's this liquid metal stuff that pggg was talking about, and where to get it?
                        '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

thanks guys, I got the idea w/ the pin vise & ended up drilling out all four tips with a #75 bit, albeit not consistently dead center . put em back on the bike & I was getting some good combustion at idle on #1 for a while but #2 was running rich and I couldn't change that. #3 and #4 looked good. ran pretty nicely all the way through the rpm range. then I tried to synch the carbs and threw everything off.

so I now have a straight hole where there used to be a funnel & the broken tips are still in there. the idle mixture screws sit at the top of the broken tips /w the holes drilled thru them and I guess fuel slips through but I have no adjustability. think the #60 bit would give the screw a chance to plug that hole & give me some control?

carbs are pretty much shot with that idle circuit, may be in the market for another set if these can't be restored. what's this liquid metal that pggg was talking about?
                          '72 xs650 (big red)

Comment

Sxigh, it's just stuff you get in a tube or can from auto shops, sets to a hard metal substance within minutes and can be shaped, filed etc...

Comment

what's this liquid metal stuff that pggg was talking about, and where to get it?
                              stuff like JBWeld, is two part epoxy that you mix together and then apply. Several members are holding several critical parts together with this stuff. Me... it's holding a big chunk off aluminum from above the timing chain adjuster to the cylinder bank.
                              Purchase at any auto or hardware store.
                              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                              X