EFI tech-tip..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI tech-tip..?

so... I've read that several members have fitted their XSes with EFI - easier, more reliable, more tunable, more efficient and more powerful than the stock carbs... they all sound like great reasons to go for it, but I haven't been able to track down enough solid info to figgure out what exactly I'd need to do for it...

I'm just wishin' there was a detailed tech tip on the conversion process, what to buy, etc.

-Kris

PS: I know I just got my carbs in the baboon happy... but this isn't for the baboon.... more to come on the new super secret project bike.
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

EFI

Try this link, the instruction manual alone is an education in EFI.
    I've got a start on my system, but now that I have the Valkyrie I've been to busy riding to worry about projects.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
    Walt
    80 XS11s - "Landshark"
    79 XS11s
    03 Valkyrie
    80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
    78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
    81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Thanks for the link, that's a pretty sweet site! Tons of info to condense...

I'm familiar with how EFI works, the concepts and all, and I think that the megasquirt controller is probably one of the best, and is probably what I'll end up USING, but I have a slough of other questions I didn't see on that site...

like what throttle body and injectors do I use? I'd really like to see a techtip about this - even if it doesn't go into detail on the megasquirt, I'd really like to know my options as far as what can successfully be used on the XS11, and how best to impliment it.
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"
      1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
      1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

EFI

I got a throttle body from a GSX off of ebay with injectors for $40.
        Some else on this site modified their carbs to hold the injectors.
        Walt
        80 XS11s - "Landshark"
        79 XS11s
        03 Valkyrie
        80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
        78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
        81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I've got GSXR600K2 throttle bodies and a Hyabusa external fuel pump so far. I'm saving up for the meagasquirt V3 as it'll run the ignition as well.
          Hopefully I'll be able to do a "Tech Tip" over the winter.
          Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Kris,
            If you are going to add a turbo or blower to the engine, try looking at a small car engine intake. I'm going to put the throttle body in front of the turbo, and build an intake with 4 injectors on a rail. I have the megasquirt, and it's partially built now.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

stan (shutchis) is working on a website outlining his install of fuel injection.

I'd like to do one myself but I never seem to get the time.

If you ask me some questions though I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Dan

1978 Fuel Injected XS11
              Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Knewsome, you need to get to the msi forum. They have tons of info on all the parts'n'peices. For instance, here is some really good info.

If I can ever afford my last pieces of the puzzle (sensors and the ms) I will do a full documentary
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Knewson, I'm such a sorry guy ... I just read your post.

My '82 XJ1100 is almost running, using a Megaquirt V3 kit, a GSXR600 TB, and an external Hyabusa fuel pump. It's so cool.
                  Dan (Mainlylinux) was a big help.

I had good intentions of completing this project in June; but the birth of my grandchild, two weddings, and some family commitments killed my weekends.

I also replaced my Yamaha electronic ignition system with a General Motors DIS system, so I could electronically adjust the timing.

This is a big project...with lots of "little" things; driving you to drink. I can save you a lot of headaches, with lessons learned. Send me an email at stan@hutchgroup.org and I'll send you my notes. Soon, when I develop the skills and find the time, I'll build my web page and document my adventure, so everyone can benefit. "I'm almost finished."
                  '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
                  Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
                  '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
                  Stan Hutchison

Comment

Working...
                  X