How do you distinguish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you distinguish...

A Midnight Maxim from an ordinary black Maxim? Or is it that the black ones were called the "Midnight Maxim"?

Hey Pete,
    Well, first below is just a "Black" Maxim, only an 82 US model, don't know if Yamaha did things differently for the EURO market in the later years?

Whereas, a TRUE Midnight Maxim should have the same color scheme as below, the blackened fenders, engine, handlebars, etc., along with all of the fancy gold toned trim!

T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hmmmmm... didn't even know there WAS such a critter! I like a few of the gold accents... especially the rims, but the reg maxim looks a bit "Sportier" to me with the seat and tank shapes. Just my opinion... and we all know about those..
      Ya think if I let the front cam adjuster leak a bit more... that my motor will get completely black and start to look cool??

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hmm the first pic is exactly what I have, except the grabrail has been removed on that one, but the second pic looks like an XS special. It has XS handlebars and grabrail, and an XS tank, although it has Maxim wheels by the look of it. I'm not overly-familiar with the different models. Details are very difficult to find on the model.

Comment

Pete,

Sorry for the confusion, the second picture IS an XS11, it's the same picture in the AD without the Ad text, I forgot that it didn't say "81 Midnight Special" on it, I was just showing it to show ALL of WHAT is blacked out on the MNS's, and would assume similar color schemes for the MAXIMS! We don't have a photo of the XJ MNS in the archives/photos section! The 81MNS has the curved spoked wheels, the linked braking system, both of which are incorporated in the 82 XJ's
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Oh thanks T.C.

The midnight Maxim seems to rarer than rocking horse doo-doo. I've only seen a couple of references to it, and never a photo.

Comment

I had a 1981 Midnight Maxim but it was an xj650 not 1100 cc.
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

Someone must have been reading eBay ads recently; there was an '82 XJ advertised as a "rare midninght Maxim" when in fact is was a stock New Yamaha Black XJ, not a Midnight at all. Midnights, by definition, have the gold trim. (The other, and less common, color for the XJ is New Ruby Red.)

The Yamaha brochures suggest there was an 1100cc Midnight Maxim, but I have never seen one. The reported sightings have turned out to be smaller displacement Yamahas or the stock black regular Maxim. To be sure, the XJ's tank emblems are gold, or have turned gold over the years, but the XJ does not have the other gold trim components. Some items, like wheels and rotors, are interchangeable and could be swapped in to give you a partial Midnight, but I am not convinced Yamaha ever sold a full-blown '82 1100cc XJ Midnight Maxim.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yamaha did not have a Midnight maxim in an 1100cc that I'm aware of and I worked for Yamaha back then when these bikes were coming off the production line. I think the only midnight anything in 1982 was the Midnight Maxim XJ650LJ. In 1983 several Midnight bikes Maxims XJ650, XJ750, Viragos XV750, XV920 even a little 50cc street bike had the black and gold to look like the midnight special bikes, BUT no 1100 Midnight Maxims
                  Do'Lee
                  XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
                  (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
                  (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
                  (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
                  SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

Working...
                  X