idle pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle pop

Changed my oil this AM and am now getting a popping out the exhaust at idle which I have never had. Running fine otherwise. Don't know what the problem might be.

It was, by the way, a switch from Rotella 15-40 to Valvoline 20-50
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

.. did you forget to turn the gas on?

Comment

Hey Dean,

You didn't happen to bump the pipes too much getting the filter chamber off did you? I remember you saying at XS East that you normally didn't have to loosen or remove the pipes to get the filter off! Have you checked the tension of the header pipe nuts? All of that aggressive higher rpm revving in the mountains can shake the engine on it's motor mounts a bit, and could have helped to slightly loosen the header nuts!? Have you checked the muffler to header clamps, also could have worked loose, causing an exhaust leak which can cause a "pop"?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC,,, The "pop" for lack of a better word, is right out the tailpipe. Don't notice it on the road. Everything seems tight, didn't do any bumping of exhaust parts.
        Only thing changed is the oil. I did run some Seafoam in the oil for a few miles(10) prior to draining it. Hadn't done that before.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Well, Dean,

Hope it settles out? When folks use SeaFoam or MMO "IN" the oil prior to an oil change, the engine is NOT supposed to be put under any load...Like Riding It 10 miles ! You're just supposed to run it up to operating temps for a few minutes in NEUTRAL. Then drain and replace with fresh oil.

Your pipes DO pop on Decel, but that's normal for that style!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Seems to have quieted down. Wasn't aware of not running on the road after having added some Seafoam. Could that have caused any damage and is it even recommended? Seems to be good for fuel system so I thought I'd give it a try.
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

You probably have done this but make sure that your intake manifold on your carbs is tight(or your filters) Mine was popping a little and I noticed one of the rubber boots had slipped of the carb.
              "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
              "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
              79 XS1100 modified standard
              Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
              pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
              straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
              new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
              Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
              Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
              owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

Working...