Ode to Eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ode to Eleven

Here's a page I scanned out of the July 2006 Motorcyclist. It speaks of the first super bikes...the venerable Z1 and of course the formidable XS Eleven and how the "super" bikes of today derive their heritage from these originals. What is so remarkable is how they speak of our beloved Eleven's smooth nature compared to today's superbikes.

Last edited by MAXIMAN; 06-10-2006, 07:00 AM.

Another interesting link:

Hard Numbers

Comment

Boy, that Vmax is a dog, at 111.30 seconds for the 1/4 mile!
      I thought they were faster than that!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hehehe...obviously that is a misprint!

BUT since you mentioned it...First lemme say anytime you turn a low 11 in the 1/4...that is no "dog".

The last few years they've slightly de-tuned them for some reason.

However I believe they didn't get a good run on that test. Just look at the numbers. The V-Rod is roughly the same weight with less horsepower and it ran the same ET?

It's pretty well known the V-max will turn sub 11 ETs with a competent pilot. And an expert can do better. I believe Jay Gleason (nicknamed PeeWee) turned a 10.3 on a stock V-Max in 1985 with nothing more than a header and tweeked carbs.

NOW HERE'S MY CONSPIRACY THEORY ON THE V-MAX:

Seems all I read in the print media about the V-max is how old and tired it is. Yet the very same writers will state unequivocally that Mr. Max still reigns supreme as the de facto muscle cruiser. Still they whine and moan that Yamaha have not upgraded the beast.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the writers and editors at most magazines simply don't care about the bike any more and are pissed that no one has been able to "de-throne" the King. I figure they put one of their secretaries on this latest one for the 1/4 test in some whacked attempt to embarrass Yamaha into redesigning it.

And NO! I don't believe in the tooth fairy or little green men.

Comment

Working...
        X