No announcement yet.

Midnight Special "Black Chrome"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try a powder coat on the pipes. I just had some parts done in gloss black, and I think they would be close. I know it isn't quite the look, but it would be durable.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
      Try a powder coat on the pipes. I just had some parts done in gloss black, and I think they would be close. I know it isn't quite the look, but it would be durable.
      Ray
      the problem with PC is that it has a melting point of 350 degrees which on exhaust pipes i know wont last. i am considering doing it to the motor though. possible just painting it. i found a reaserch the other day that said that haveing an air cooled motor painted black is roughly 40% more effeciant in cooling compaired to the natural aluminum. i will have to see if i can find it.

Comment

Mine was a totally original "barn" find with 10,000 mi when I got it. The frame is semi gloss almost flat black. The original paint was black with a gold flake clearcoat. Actually there apeared to be a hint of another color, maybe red mixed in too. I tried rubing the orig out but quickly went through the clearcoat. I was able to duplicate the orig pretty well by useing black basecoat then a couple of coats of gold pearl mixed with color blender and finishing with clear. I have a shop and use all PPG materials. I bought this bike (BTW it's an 80) as a collector piece I can ride so I wanted to keep it all orig as possible. The only black chome on it is the pipes and handlebars. Oddly enough the Midnight Special emb on the side covers is the only regular chrome. When I researched the black chrome, the only thing I could come up with frome the exhaust coating people was flat black. As I understand it, the original isn't really chrome but some sort of ceramic. Too much ploishing and you end up with bare metal. I'd be interested in what you come up with on geting them redone. The original isn't very durable to say the least which may acount for most shops not wanting to get involved with it. I guess Yamaha never figured on anyone keeping these bikes for 20+ years.
        Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"
        2000 Heritage "Snow White"

Comment

Underdog, P.M. me your email address and I will send you pictures and prices for some work. Once you and I discuss, I will post.
          DEW
          One Red "Creation 1"
          One Black"Creation 2"
          One Black"Creation 3"
          One ???? "Creation 4"
          One ???? "Creation 5"
          One ???? "Parts Bike"
          All the above 1100 Specials
          78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
          1980 Midnight Special
          1978 650 SE

Comment

Black chroming is an add on finish over chrome plating. About 20 years or so ago I saw a guy remove the black off a set of chrome pipes with a wire wheel on a drill motor. When he was done, the chrome finish was fine.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Interesting Geezer.......... so you think it is more of a paint than an actual chrome plating?
              DEW
              One Red "Creation 1"
              One Black"Creation 2"
              One Black"Creation 3"
              One ???? "Creation 4"
              One ???? "Creation 5"
              One ???? "Parts Bike"
              78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
              1980 Midnight Special
              1978 650 SE

Comment

There are many more black chrome parts on the Midnights. Here are the part numbers along with laymen description of everything I can remember that is black chrome on the bike:

4H3-23122-00-00 (Lower triple tree cover)
                4H1-84330-00-00 (Headlight body assembly - the dome)
                4H3-23121-00-00 (Left headlight ear)
                4H3-23131-00-00 (Right headlight ear
                4H3-83507-00-00 (Speedometer cover)
                4H3-83508-00-00 (Tachometer cover)
                4H3-18111-00-00 (Shift pedal)
                4H3-27211-00-00 (Brake pedal)
                4H3-26111-00-00 (Handlebar)
                4H3-26290-10-00 (Left mirror assembly)
                4H3-26290-00-00 (Right mirror assembly)
                4H3-14975-00-00 (Choke or Starter lever on carbs)
                99999-01233-00 (The entire exhaust assembly with all protectors bolts etc...

All the bolts on this bike were black chrome or a black anodized coating of some sort.

All the emblems on these bikes were gold not chrome.

The paint was what was known as New Yamaha Black. It was black, period with a clear coat finish. No pearl of any sort. If you have a tank with red metal flake in it, there was such a tank but it was not originally for the Midnights. The frame was a semigloss black. The engine was a combination of gloass and semigloss paint. All the outer covers were the new yamaha black gloss paint with clear coat.

The gold chrome parts were the gas tank cap, carb diaphraghm covers, the airbox assembly and the swingarm pivot covers.

The generator and crankcase covers were different from 80 to 81. The 80 model was painted gloss black with a nebula gold on the Yamaha engraving ( the same paint used on the wheels and brake rotors) and they had a gold round decal that was applied then clearcoated over. The 81 model actually had a round groove in the cover with the same paint scheme as the 80 models, no decal.

The technical bulletin 7 that was released concerning how to clean the black chrome pipes. The finish was very delicate and common abrasive cleaners and polishes could not be used on these pipes. You also could not use alkaline cleaners as they permanently stained the finish when it got hot. It did not however clarify the actual finish being paint or ceramic. It was simply referred to as black chrome.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

I forgot the headlight ring and grab bar are gold as well.
                  81 LH
                  02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by dewibp
                    Interesting Geezer.......... so you think it is more of a paint than an actual chrome plating?
                    It could be but I've only seen it removed not applied. In the cases were I've seen it worn through, the chrome was OK but there wasn't an obvious paint layer. What ever the coating is, it's translucent.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Good information. Looks like my brand new generator cover must not be for a midnight as it is black but the round indented ring and letters are all a silver color. The original box might still have the part number so will check backwards to see what it is. Could you send me a pic of your cover when time permits? thanks again.
                      DEW
                      One Red "Creation 1"
                      One Black"Creation 2"
                      One Black"Creation 3"
                      One ???? "Creation 4"
                      One ???? "Creation 5"
                      One ???? "Parts Bike"
                      78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                      1980 Midnight Special
                      1978 650 SE

Comment

Here is the low down for the "gold parts" on a midnight. My chromer says it is either a brass plating or 24k gold plating. He thinks the brass comes closer to matching color but not as durable as gold. I will try the gold plating. Here are his prices-

Part 24k gold brass
                        grab bar $110 $75
                        air box (top/bottom) $75 $45
                        gas cap $45 $30

He recommends sealing, which ever finish is chosen, with laquer. He does this as part of the process.
                        DEW
                        One Red "Creation 1"
                        One Black"Creation 2"
                        One Black"Creation 3"
                        One ???? "Creation 4"
                        One ???? "Creation 5"
                        One ???? "Parts Bike"
                        78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                        1980 Midnight Special
                        1978 650 SE

Comment

I really don't care to debate the subject but I know this bike is/was an original. I was mistaken about the miles though, it had 11,502 on it when I bought it. Came from the original owner in VA. It has an engraved brass or gold plate on the triple tree with his name. I made a photocopy of the original VA title before I transfered it. I've been in the auto body bussiness since 1978 and would bet my shop that this bike had the original paintwork. I stripped all the tins to bare metal and there was no evidence of any previous work. The headlight bucket, tripple tree covers,mirrors and other parts also have the gold flecks in them. I didn't refinish them since they still look good. I don't know for sure if they're black chrome or paint but I would bet they are painted since they have the flecks in them also. The PO gave me the black chrome bullitin along with the owners manual and dealer info from where he bought it. Anyone cares to inspect it, I'm 30 mi south of Pittsburgh. Perhaps they weren't all done the same. Unfortunately Yamaha doesn't care to talk about them. I tried to get production numbers from them and they said it wasn't public information.
                          Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

BTW the # on the black chrome bullitin is M80-028 and is dated 6/6/1980. Says you can use Rally Auto Wax, Harly Carnuba Wax,(imagine that!at least they spelled it wrong) Simonize Pre-Softened Car Wax and Classic Car Wax. Some of that probably isn't made any more. Don't use chrome polish since it is abrasive. Also says the Easy Off Oven Cleaner can be used to remove melted on material (like boot heals) but not to get it on painted surfaces. They recomend useing a brush to apply and not when the pipes are hot. I'd scan and post this if I could figure it out. Just for ****s& giggles.
                            Underdog

1980 MNS "The Dark Side"

Comment

They were all painted the same and there is now gold flake in the paint. Not trying to prove you wrong, just trying to state the facts. That is the same bulletin I have. If you can get to the schematics it is actually one of the technical bulletins. I recently purchased and NOS tank that has the red flake in it. I knew it was not the Midnight tank when I bought it, I just wanted it to repaint it the New Yamaha Black with the clearcoat to bring it back to original. I had the name tag for my bike. If you were the original owner Yamaha gave you the cerificate to send in and they engraved your name on it so you could put it on the bike. I still have mine although it is in poor condition now like most of the original gold parts are. If it is your desire to bring the bike back to original then my previous posts will lead you in that direction.
                              81 LH
                              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                              Jim

Comment

I'm not doubting anyone. My MNS has 60,000 miles on it and I'm at least the 3rd owner.
                                I know this bike has not been painted and there is no red anything (XScept the tail light lens, oil and fuel lights ) on the bike.
                                Just plain glossy black on the tank, sidecovers, and fenders.
                                The head badge has a name other than the person I bought the bike from.
                                When I restore the bike I will strip and paint everything black XScept the exhaust and gold parts. Gloss and semi-gloss will achieve the appropriate stock appearance.
                                Pat Kelly
                                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                                X