And thus it ends.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And thus it ends.

Yesterday morning about 11am, on the way to my friend's wedding, I was taking a curve. It wasn't a particularly tough curve, or anything of that nature. However, I hit a slick spot, possibly oil or something and the bike starts to fall out from under me, so I pick it back up.

Only to widen my curve, which brings me dangerously close to the curb of the grassy median in the road. And a split second later, I'm over the curb.

I manage to keep the bike up, as I was doing 40 or thereabouts, as I go over the curb. However, this median has saplings planted in it. I miss the first one, only to hit the next one straight on. The bike is still upright, even after the impact until it hits the second curb, and then flips, throwing me off.

I fly into the oncoming traffic lane. According to the friend following me, the bike flew probably 2-3 feet in the air and I was a good 5 or 6 feet off the ground for probably 10 feet. I land on my left shoulder and roll a few times and then I slide. Realizing I'm in the path of oncoming traffic, I hop up and run to the side of the road. I have a burning pain in my back that's not letting me breathe. After the adrenaline seemingly subsides, I realize that my ankle can no longer support me any longer and pretty much collapse backwards in the grass. I try to get back up, but can't manage it.

There were two off-duty police officers, and an off-duty ER nurse there, almost immediately. The authorities are notified, and less than 30 minutes later, I'm in a trauma ward, being x-rayed.

Luckily, nothing is broken. I have torn ligaments in my left shoulder, right knee (which hit the sapling as well), and my left ankle has a chipped bone. I also have roadrash all up and down both arms. I remained conscious and suffered no head or spine injuries.

The bike is pretty messed up, and here comes awesome picture time (I apologize to all you 56kers):

The first few were taken by my friend as I was being whisked away by ambulance on his camera phone.

The following were after it was returned to my apartment.

Now, as you can see, everything in front of the triple trees is toast. Possibly the triple trees as well. I haven't been able to get a good look at it since I can't walk very well. The seat is torn, the megaphone is destroyed (although the headers are okay). The engine/transmission, driveshaft, carburetors, and all that good stuff survived unscathed. The tank was punctured. As far as I could tell, the frame still looked straight.

Anyhow, my friends helped my dad load it up into his truck to take back to store there while I figure out what to do with it. While my parents were taking it back, they stopped for gas and were approached by a guy who used to drag race Yamaha bikes in California and is moving to this area. He's extremely interested in purchasing it and wanted to know what I would want for it.

I was wondering what you guys think would be fair.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Bummer

I am glad that you didn't recieve any more serious injuries. It really sucks going down like that. How long will you be laid up? Did you ever find out what it was that you slipped on? It will be a year tomorrow that I had my accident. Fortunatly, I was able to rebuild my bike. Have you thought about repairing it when you get to feeling better? I have a set of Standard forks and a fender for a 78E , and a few other parts that may help you repair the bike.

Comment

Glad that you came through alright (all things considered). Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you if you are considering putting her back on the road.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

As long as youre OK....
        1st check real quick if the frame is really straight.. especially the tripple tree bairings and their seats. If not, sell the bike.
        Change the front wheel, forks, fender, tripple tree. Maybe even brake discs. Just search ebay and local scrap yards. I think you will neeed new instrument cluster holder... or maybe you can salvage/repair this one. And a new gas tank. Too bad, this one looked purtty.
        Exhaust could be repaired... cant see from the pics, the seat ducttaped.
        Its not as bad as it looks, and it doesnt look that bad anyway. As long as the frame is OK. If not, sell it, get another one and have fun.

LP

PS: next time use a chainsaw on the vegetation.
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Glad you are o.k.

THe xs wheel is truly indestructable. Looks like it is in good shape. I bought a bike with the same front damage, the wheel is now on my daily driver. HOWEVER, the neck was bent beyond repair. AS long as your bike's neck is still geometrically correct, looks like you can just get a set of new forks, which are plentiful...BTW...2 wheels and oil don't mix....chop
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock
          80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Glad you are OK, have standard triple tree, front fender,gauge cluster,decent complete exhaust (4-2),if you want to fix it let us know parts will start arriving. andreashweiss@yahoo.com

Comment

Glad you are (mostly) okay It could've been worse. I like the pic of the wheel rut right next to the tree.

Fix the bike if you can. Or get another xs. You know you will miss it if you don't.
              I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Glad to hear that you're alive and healing! Best of luck gettin' the bike back up and running... make sure you take plenty of protein, glutamine, MSM and fish oil to help you heal up right!
                Kristoffer
                "Take apart yer carbs!"
                1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Well, that bike has given me nothing but trouble. It hasn't ran correctly the entire time I've had it. In fact, it's been problematic almost constantly. I'm tempted to just take the money and run.

I've got to pay hospital bills now, ticket, and I think the city is going to bill me for that sapling.

I don't have any money to fix it as of right now...
                  "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemmingway

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk
                    Well, that bike has given me nothing but trouble. It hasn't ran correctly the entire time I've had it. In fact, it's been problematic almost constantly. I'm tempted to just take the money and run.

I've got to pay hospital bills now, ticket, and I think the city is going to bill me for that sapling.

I don't have any money to fix it as of right now...
                    Good thing you are OK. After reading your last post, sell that turkey. They are for sale everyday. Good luck
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

Glad to hear that your injuries were not worse. If you can prove that there was a slick spot in the road and get pictures of it I don't see how in the world they can ticket you or make you pay for anything. I am assuming the ticket is for failiure to maintain control of your vehicle. Well if there was a defect in the road or a foreign substance on it then the fault is not yours it is the city's. I truly think if you explain that to the DA they will null process the ticket. You ought to at least get back out there to check before the evidence disappears. I agree with you about getting rid of the bike.
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

Actually, they gave me a 'Careless Driving' ticket. One hundred dollars.

I went by there the other day, didn't see any sand, but I'm not exactly sure where I felt the bike start to give way. There's the standard swill of **** in the middle of the road, and I think I was left-middish when I was taking the curve.

I'll be looking into whether or not it's even worth it to take off work to go contest it and whatnot.

Comment

awful experience, but you'll get through it, man...
                          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                          History
                          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                          79 yamaha xs1100f
                          03 honda cbr 600 f4
                          91 yamaha fzr 600
                          84 yamaha fj 1100
                          82 yamaha seca 750
                          87 yamaha fazer
                          86 yamaha maxim x
                          82 yamaha vision
                          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

The important thing is that you are basically OK! I don't think anyone really answered your question about value. Basically, it is worth what ever someone will pay for it. But, working backwards, if you wanted to sell it, look at it this way. Value if in good condition minus cost to repair. If I were looking at buying it, I would not pay more than a few hundred for it, maybe up to $400 ish. The other way to look at it is ebay value. If you take it apart, sometimes the parts are worth more than the whole. Ask Andreashweiss about that, he has taken a lot of em apart and sold the parts. I would do whichever one I had the energy to handle. Best of luck getting well and back in the saddle.
                            Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

I, too, have dreaded "going down" ...

I was practicing with my XJ when near the end of a street-width U-ee, I hit some slime!. She went right out from under me! You know the stuff: after a rain, some moisture still sits near a curb with some dust and veggie-matter a'brewin' and just waintin' for ya'.
                              It's a good thing that I was going only about 6MPH at the time. It was enough to get my attention. Nowadays, I'm not armored. I'm not impervious, but I'm a heck of a lot more mindful of the road conditions!
                              'sorry you got whacked!
                              Get well soon!
                              XJ1100J Maxim (Arlington)
                              Ruby Red
                              XS1100E (no name yet)
                              Macho Maroon

Comment

Working...
                              X