Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil Leak

Hi Guys,
    Dose anyone know, if the 78E are known for any other oil leaks from the front of the engine apart from the Cam Chain Tensioner.
    I just fixed that leak but now I have a slight leak from somewhere near there, I cant see extactly where because someone has used some sort of "resin" near/around the stud bolt. I'll probibly pull her of the road this winter and fix but wanted to know if this mobel was known to have a problem in this area, just may give me a starting point.
    Thanks
    David
    78E

"How long is a piece of string"?

Hey Ozzie,

Aside from the rubber plug in the end of the cam chain tensioner assembly, there is also a rubber Oring around the locking bolt/nut combo that sometimes leaks. Aside from that, just the head valve cover gasket, they can loosen with running, and dribble down, usually require retorquing.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have a similar problem with the Battle Cruiser and have narrowed it down to a stud that runs from the Case up to the head. Part of it is exposed through the front fins. The air flow across the front causes wierd flow and pushed the laking oil up to the bottom of the cylinder head and then flows out the sides of the fins and onto my Dockers (Office Guys ride too). Pisses SWMBO off. I am going to clean it up real good with some little test tube brushes and some Orange Glow (does a real dood job of getting the grase out, Simple Green is another good agent) and then let it dry thoroughly and then slip some Silicone onto the base of the stud and case, let it dry and hope it holds until I have the time and inclination to take it down to do it right.

BTW, I had the Timing Adjustment Cover problem too, I used the same basic approach as listed above, clean it well, and with a rubber gloved finger, rub silicone into the joint and let cure before running. Dry so far.
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Hi ,
        I've already fixed the Cam Chain Tensioner and thats not leaking. Thanks for the suggestions, it gives me something to work on.
        thanks
        David

78E

Comment

My valve cover gasket leaks/"weeps" is several places and have been thinking to make my own gasket outa either thicker gasket material or rubber to stop it. Have to clean the oil off ever other week to keep it from becoming a real mess.

Also have noticed a few minor leaks near starter

mro

Comment

Working...
          X