problems with my xs11...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with my xs11...

I am having a problem with my bike. the bike runs and sounds great, but when i got back to my shop the other day after riding for about 30 minutes and noticed it was kind of poping a little at idle (i am told this is because i need to sync my carbs) well i took a spray bottle and sprayed down the headers to make sure all the cylinders are firing. numbers 3 and 4 were hot enough to steam the water off as soon as it hit, but numbers 1 and 2 were barely hot. I used an infared thermometer to check the temps and found that number one header is only about 100 degrees, two is about 150 and three and four were about 250 i believe. What could be causing this problem? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    1981 XS 1100 Special

Jared "The Tank" Hansen

You have a fuel delivery problem to carbs #1 and #2. This could be a simple as a kinked fuel hose. If you thought it was running great on 2 cylinders, wait till you see what it does with 4!
    Ken Talbot

Comment

im not positive but i am pretty sure that the hoses are all ok. if it isn't that then what else could it be?
      1981 XS 1100 Special

Jared "The Tank" Hansen

Comment

Hey Jared,

The left petcock feeds the left pair of carbs, the right the other! Your problem is paired with the left 2 carbs, so it's not electrical. The Petcock rubber washer/valve can disintegrate, and clog things, or junk in the bottom of the tank can clog the filter towers that feed that petcock. Corrosion can build up inside the fuel lines, with the Octopus, there are lots. You need to pull them off, and start at the tank/petcock and ensure fuel is flowing, and go thru each point of flow, till you get to the carbs.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks for the help. i know that i am getting fuel out of the tank cause i checked before i hooked the lines back up. i will do some checking tomorrow to make sure all the lines are clear.
          1981 XS 1100 Special

Jared "The Tank" Hansen

Comment

Working...
          X