Flasher Relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flasher Relay?

This is an odd problem. The right turn signal on my '78 E works pretty well (sometimes doesnt flash, but stays on solid). When I go to use my left turn signal, it wont work if I attempt to use it from the off position but if I use the right side first the switch to the left, it works fine. Sometimes niether side will work (no signals period). I've taken the switch apart and it appears to be working fine.
    I'm thinking it could be the flasher relay, and if so does anyone know how I could test it?

Thanks,
    Lee
    Lee Freeman
    '78 XS1100 E

The turn signals and flashers draw a fair amount of current to activate the thermal flasher. IF the grounds are not good, then it can't flow, and things stop flashing/lighting. The grounds for the signals are notorious for corroding, the rear are usually under the fender where the stalk is mounted, the front inside the headlight bucket. Also the bulb sockets can corrode. Pull the lenses off and check them and clean as needed. Clean ALL of the contacts, the plug for the flasher, the fuse holder, etc.!

You've already taken apart the handlebar switch, there are leaf style contacts that can get bent over time and so NOT make good contact, along with the wires coming unsoldered from that little board they are attached to!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Fixed!!

Problem solved, thanks T.C. It was those little leaf contacts after all!
      Lee Freeman
      '78 XS1100 E

Comment

Working...
      X