Tacho Jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacho Jumping

My Tacho needle jumps around a bit,(internitantly) had it sycronised and a new needle fitted and still doing it. Any suggestons ?

"A little bit of pain never hurt anyone" !

78E

Hey Ozzie,

Check your connections for your charging system, the plugs with the 3 white wires for the Alternator. The tach get's its signal from there. You may need to clean them. Check to make sure you are charging properly! Could be an indication of a soon to fail system, usually the Reg/Rect!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Wait, is it the needle bouncing from 0k, or is it just shifting around a couple hundred RPM?

I've also heard of a little ball bearing inside the tach housing that gets dirty and tends to make it bounce around just a little.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

I've also heard of a little ball bearing inside the tach housing that gets dirty and tends to make it bounce around just a little.
        I've heard that, too. But I have an NOS tach that does the same thing, between 4500-6000 RPM. It's got just 1600 miles on it, used it first on W.V. trip. I agree with T.C., it's probably electrical in nature, loose or dirty something or other.

When I get to it, I'll get to it.

Comment

Thanks Guys
          I knew it ran electroniclly, but had no idea where to start looking. It seems fine in the lower rev range but the needle starts jumping as the revs increase. it dosnt seem to be from the road roughness. I'll give it a clean up and let you know if it helps.
          Thanks David

Comment

T.C.
            Where exactly are those 3 white wires located? My tach jumps too and it has been for the last year. I'd like to clear it up.
            Mark Stanton

Comment

If I am not mistaken, the white wires are located behind the fuse panel. Remove the three screws that hold the fuse panel in place, and you should see them.
              1979 XS1100 F
              1980 XS1100 Special--Frankenstein
              1982 XJ1100 Maxium x 2
              1980 Honda CB 900
              1981 Honda CB 900
              1981 Honda CB650x2
              2003 Honda 1300 VTX Retro-sold

Comment

Working...
              X