Headlight & turn signal problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight & turn signal problems

Hi, I'm am a new xs1100 owner. I have been looking through this site but haven't found a problem like I am having. The bike is an 80 model with 7000 miles. When the headlight works I don't have turn signals, and if the signals work I have no headlight. I don't have a service manual yet but will be getting one in the next few days. Anyone have any ideas? TIA Bobby
    ~Bobby

I'd be willing to bet you a beer that you have fusebox problems. It's a known issue with the bike, but all is not lost! they can be replaced quite easily. Either contact TopCat and ask him to send you a replacement that uses a modern fuse type, or order a replacement from partsnmore. I got one from TC, haven't installed it yet because my electrical is all working just fine and I've got other things to worry about, but it's certainly on my list of things to do, simply as a precaution.

If you NEED TO RIDE, check each of your fuses with a multimeter from Radioshack, a visual inspection often won't do the trick. If all the fuses check out, make sure the contacts are clean, and that none of them have slipped their holders.

good luck man, and welcome!
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

You may want to check all the ground connections as well. Loosen and tighten the battery cables, check all the ground connections throughout the bike. I would also check the charge state of the battery, at idle and at 2500 RPM. Should be ~13.8V at 2500, and go to 14.5V at 4000.
      I don't think your charging system is bad, but once you have a meter, check now for a "base reading".
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I did away with the headlight relay so now the headlight is working. I was thinking that I may need to replace the fuse block so I will put that on my list. I have ordered a new rear tire, the one on it was cracked so I have taken the rear hub (don't know if that is what it is call or not) off so that I can grease the splines and change the oil in it. I was having front brake problems but got that fixed thanks to this list. Many other things that I need to do but I am hoping to put about 300 miles on it this weekend if everything works out. It has been 13-14 years since I have had a functional bike. I have had 3 project bikes that I got close to riding and sold them before they were complete, so I am excited about getting back out there.
        ~Bobby

Comment

Hey Bob,

Along with the splines where the rear wheel hub and "Final Drive" unit comes together, you also need to grease the driveshaft where it fits into the Final Drive. I'm assuming that having the Final Drive off, you have found the drive shaft splines that don't get properly greased via that Zerk Fitting!?
          Welcome, you'll get that thing running in no time!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Changing the fuse block is a good idea anyway, but try taking the headlight/turn signal switch apart and give it a good cleaning. Thorough clean up of oh so many parts is the norm on our old scoots. Burl
            '79 XS Eleven Special
            "Dirty White Boy"
            "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

I repaired my side left side cover today, the hook was broken off. I used plastic weld and some plexiglass that I had, found the fix by searching the site.

TopCat, Do I need to remove my drive shaft or just grease the end that I can see? I am also going to change the oil in the final drive can I use regular 80w90 or is there a special oil that I need to use.

I didn't get a chance to check my grounds today but I will get that done tomorrow and if I can stay off of it long enough I will check the switch. I guess that you can clean it with tuner cleaner.

Thanks alot
              ~Bobby

Comment

Hey Bobby,

Just grease the splines at the end of the shaft where it fits into the Final Drive, you don't have to remove it from the U-joint! Don't loose that centering spring! 80-90 Hypoid gear oil is fine, Dino or synthetic, whichever you prefer!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Bobby,
                  To get to the splines, you DO need to UNBOLT the final drive from the swingarm. If my memory isn't totally gone, it's 4 14mm nuts. You will see a splined shaft, and that is what you grease. The grease fitting gets the OUTSIDE of the shaft, but you need to grease the INSIDE, where the splines are.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned the oxidation off of the contacts and I think that was the problem with them.
                    ~Bobby

Comment

Working...
                    X