rear tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tire

can anyone give me an approximate price for a rear tire for my 1981 xs 1100? and about how much they think it may cost me to have a dealer change it for me or if this is something i could do on my own in my garage?
    Thanks
    1981 XS 1100 Special

Jared "The Tank" Hansen

If possible, only buy the tyre from a dealer who fits and balances it for free. Price of a tyre should always include fitting and balancing. Not added on later. The dealers probably getting double what it's worth anyway.

Comment

Dunlop K491 Elite II in 130-90-16 mounted and blanced will run about $120.00 - $130.00 in this part of the world. (Colorado western slope.) Harder to find the Elite II since they came out with the Elite III series, but some dealers may have some old stock on hand and give you a decent price. Price quoted above is if you take the wheel off the bike yourself and take it in to have the new tire mounted and balanced. If you have the dealer do the whole job plan on about $30 - $60 more, closer to the $200.00 mark. Dunlop is a mid-range tire in terms of price, other brands will run a few dollars more or less. You can also run into local specials if you check around to both dealers and independent shops; it often pays to call!

Can you do it yourself? Yes, but it takes some investment in tools and there are a few tricks to it. Do a search on past threads for "tire mounting" and you will see some of the home-built bead breakers and other information on how to mount your own rubber.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I paid $66.00 to have my tire changed and spin balanced. Included in that price, I had the oil and filter changed w/ two qts of YAMALUBE to go. The price did not include the tire.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Working...
        X