No announcement yet.

Service bike-help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh ok, I have used it for years on other bikes and never knew what it was called. Thanks

Comment

Rust everywhere!

Knewsom,

Yesterday, before you said to use diet coke, I had a couple 2 liter bottles of regular coke in my tank for a little while. After I got your reply I dumped it and rinsed out a couple times with plain water. Today as I prepared to throw some diet coke in the tank I noticed the entire inside of the tank is covered in what appears to be rust. Wow! Is that from the sugar or what?

Yesterday it only had a little rust.
      80 XS11 SG
      79 XS750 SF
      74 KZ400
      78 KZ650
      78 KZ750

Comment

not sure if it's from the sugar, or from the water you used to rinse it..?

When I rinsed my tank with water, I immedately followed that up with some WD-40, then gasoline to make sure that I got the moisture out.

either way, it's probably only SURFACE rust, and will probably be taken care of with a good 20 litres of diet soda or phosphoric acid.

You may want to give 'er a rinse of diet coke with a chain or something to try and break off as many chunks as possible before letting it sit and really cure with it FULL of diet coke.

good luck man, I know you'll get the gunk out one way or another!

-Kris
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"
        1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
        1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

I've used water to rinse it out before with no ill effects so it must be a combination of the coke followed by water.
          80 XS11 SG
          79 XS750 SF
          74 KZ400
          78 KZ650
          78 KZ750

Comment

Yamaha Fuel tank rust remover

Has anyone tried Yamaha's fuel tank rust remover. I did not know there was such a thing. Check out this link.

Corrective action "B"
            80 XS11 SG
            79 XS750 SF
            74 KZ400
            78 KZ650
            78 KZ750

Comment

wacky... must be the combination of sugar and the sodium... sticky sticky.

huh, yet another reason to NOT use regular coke...
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"
              1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
              1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

I know that most of the Xsives on this page just love to do the work ourselves and as cheap as possible. If you want to eliminate the work take your tank to a good radiator shop and ask how much. I had my tank cleaned and coated for less the $40.00. Of course they don't much care about the finish of the tank on the outside and you generally will have to repaint the tank but in my case I needed to anyway.
                2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                81 LH
                02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                Jim

Comment

Cajun,

Thanks. I have been considering that and my tank needs to be repainted anyhow. I think I'll check into it.
                  80 XS11 SG
                  79 XS750 SF
                  74 KZ400
                  78 KZ650
                  78 KZ750

Comment

My "spare" tank is at a shop now. It's going to be $125.00 when they are done. The good /bad news is that includes a linning on the inside to keep it from rusting any more. The shop I use is a radiator shop, but they have been doing a lot of older bike tanks. Talking with the tech, he's been working on scooter and old Honda trail bike tanks the most.
                    The coating he uses is white, and made to withstand the junk California calls gas.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                    X