The Baboon ROARS AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Baboon ROARS AGAIN!

Well, I went ahead and started the baboon today! Got the FB muffs on yesterday, reattached the tank, and charged the battery last night (heh, was dead).

Verdict? REMOVE ALL BAFFLES FROM FATBOY MUFFS! not too loud, sounds AWESOME.

forgive the low quality of the video, but click HERE to see/hear the Maroon Baboon roaring in the cage that is my garden.

*stoked*
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

cool! Bet you'll have fun with the looks you get from the harley guys :-)

Dan
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

Hopefully the smokiness will stop after a good ride (I'm assuming that it's just the marvel mystery oil burning off (I put some in each cylinder).

Sadly I can't bloody ride yet! I just discovered my rear brake pads are worn so low that had I taken it for any real ride at all, I might've welded the metal brakepad backing to my rotors!

heh, I realize that the video might not be so interesting, but the audio is a good reference for anyone wanting to know how fatboy muffs with no baffles sound on an XS.

I wonder just what those looks'll say... "this guys' a loser"? "whoah, what's under THAT tank?" "I didn't know Harley made motorcycles that were Maroon", or more likely, "what IS that monstrosity???"
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Hey Knewsom - sounds like your sync is just a wee bit off on #3, and the pilot screws on #2 and #4 look to be out about 1/2 turn too much...

Just kidding!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

lol - damn, you're good to get all that from the video!

seriously though, this is only after a bench sync (bread tie method) - I'll do a mercury stick sync after I give it a good ride first. (which will happen when I get brake pads. *sigh*)

This of course makes me wonder if aftermarket harley muffs will also fit on our dear XSes, since the stock FB muffs bolted right on (and I mean RIGHT ON!)
          Kristoffer
          "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

It does sound pretty damn good! Did you keep the crossover pipe? I hope it does OK in the midrange and the upper end. Let us know.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
              It does sound pretty damn good! Did you keep the crossover pipe? I hope it does OK in the midrange and the upper end. Let us know.
              Actually, I had to ditch the crossover pipe, unfortunately... there just was't enough of a pipe past the crossover to attach the adapter to. But I think that because there are no baffles, backpressure isn't going to be a factor, and that it'll probably have fairly decent power.

I'll give ya a ride report once I get brakepads... I ordered some from Mikes XS - I'm pretty sure they'll work, but I haven't found evidence as of such yet on the forum.

Cheers,
              Kris
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Working...
              X