mountains and carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mountains and carbs.

the fact of, riding through the thin mountian air will cause the carbs on the bike to richin up for lack of air, has been brought up to me.

any troubles in similar sitiantions? and easy fixes for "on the road adjustments" ?
    One of a kind SF

(Do not take advice from this man)

also

she runs a hair rich to start with.
    and has cylinder airfoam air filters; not the stock box.
    One of a kind SF

Comment

I have my E adjusted slightly rich to keep the bike running slightly cooler (gets hot here in summer). Definately notice loss of power over 5,000 feet elevation.
      If I was commuting to/from this elevation (I live at 81 feet) I would adjust to run on 2nd detent of enrichner (choke) at low elev. and when I went 'up' I'd push the choke lever in.
      But I just accept the fact that my bike runs crappy in the mountains and happy at home.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Tsunami used to be tuned quite a bit too rich. The year we rode to Colorado and went up and over Independence Pass (12095 ft elevation) I had trouble with fouled plugs. All it took was popping a set of fresh ones to get uinder way again. I've since leaned my carbs out quite a bit and greatly increased the gas mileage, but I haven't been over any majorly high passes since. Pack along a set of fresh plugs and you'll be okay.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Living in Western Colo. all my life and ridin these bikes since day one, you'll have some power loss from lack of oxygen. Have never fouled a plug although it is richer at altitude. Being constant velocity carbs they copensate fairly well with the vacuum loss at highaltitudes too. Has never been a problem and I ride at everything from under 4,000ft. to over 12,000ft.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

it will be a one time trip

the vacuum will compinsate though. reasonable. i will have to map out the highest elevation im going. just to make sure i'm not fooling myself with this ride.
            One of a kind SF

Comment

Don't worry bout the altitude Eddie, as the vertical fours handle it better than any V-twin such as Hardlys,etc. power -wise. If it gets a little 'blubery' lugging some pulls, just drop a gear and run at 4,000rpm and above. Have no worrys, it'll be fine. Myself, have never carbon fouled a plug and 90% of my riding is above 5,000+ft. Just be sure and enjoy the ride, not the destination.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

.. i noticed this weekend up in WV, that my gas milage went up in the mountains. my jetting is set up for here[fla] at about 15 ft above sea level. i also noticed that my bike idled lower and kind of rough in the mountains but when i got back to my state my idle smoothed back out and went back up some. i felt a little off idle funkyness in the mountains also but not to bad, the bike ran real good above idle everwere in the high elevation of WV

Comment

this is great info - I'm planning a road trip to CO in a few months, so now I won't worry about rejetting or anything.

I WILL however bring some steel wool and some solvent to clean my sparkplugs.
                  Kristoffer
                  "Take apart yer carbs!"
                  1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                  1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Well Knewsom.......If your on I-70 in the vicinity of Grand Junction, give me a call.........specially if you need a place to stay,(cooks food if unsurpassed).........and you and whoever is MOST welcome!..........Would be offended if you didn't call!

Comment

Hey there Gnepeg.........your highest roadway isn't even as high-up as where I live here............Come to Colo. and see the nose-bleed section!....................No pun intended(well, just a little). The only bike I've seen that will low-end 'grunt' mountain twisties better is the half of a V-8 of my V-4 Honda ST1100!

Comment

Hey Knewsom.........would love to give you a tour of the high mountain scenery and twisties that you will never forget..........bring your camera!......Can go an hour or two at the most any direction and see some breath-taking scenery. (bikes would also be inside garage when not ridden)

Comment

Hey Knewson.............write this down/ home:970-434-6178/cell:970-640-7221.

Comment

Cheers, Moto! I'll for sure be givin' you a buzz once the Baboon and I treck it to CO... I've never been, and I can only imagine that an XS is THE way to see the Rockies.

It'll be a few months, but I'll keep your info handy and let ye know when I'm comin!

-Kris
                            Kristoffer
                            "Take apart yer carbs!"
                            1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                            1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

motoman,
                              I'm going to be that direction late July. Leaving Aptos, on to Arizona, then Los Alamos. I hope to meet up with Maximan and Jerry for some rides, and up into Colorado. Then back down to Texas, and over to Ohio. Two day's at my cousins house, and then the North route to Washington, then down back to California.
                              I'll keep your number, and post mine before I leave. I will be bringing my work laptop with me, so I can keep in touch.
                              Ray
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X