Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help

I drained my oil, pulled the oem oil filter cover, replaced filter, put fresh oil in (20W-50) and before I did all this it was fine. Now the oil light stays on. If anyone has any idea what might have caused the light to come on and stay on. I would be interested in any help. I am not sure where to find the oil sending unit to check it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron
    79 XS 1100 SF (Special)
    86 250 Rebel (Wife's)
    75 CB550/4

Maybe double check that you assembled the filter,spring and washer correctly. You can check the parts book to make sure they are right.
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What year bike as the earlier ones were pressure, later ones oil level.
      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

1979 XS 1100 Special

I have double checked the filter, and it is bolt, housing, Spring, washer, and then Filter as it should be correct?

Could the Oil pump have went out just by me changing the oil and filter?

Anyone know if you can remove the oil pan and pump while the motor is in frame?

I have checked the tail light and it lights and works for brake light also.

Oil level is just above the high mark, I put a little extra in when it didn't go out at full level and it is on the center stand on level ground.

Found the Oil sensor, but have not done any thing with it at the moment.

Thanks for any help.
        79 XS 1100 SF (Special)
        86 250 Rebel (Wife's)
        75 CB550/4

Comment

I've always 'primed' the filter with some oil to lessen the chances of air-lock. Some old guy told me to do it way back - not sure if it's necessary or not, but it's no trouble to do. Worth a try if you're pulling your hair out.
          '80 SG
          '79F engine

Comment

Update:

I have removed the Oil pressure switch/sensor and held my finger over the hole and of course there wasn't enough pressure to blow my finger off. I believe the pressure should only be around 7 or 8 lbs psi? After Cranking the engine a couple times there was oil oozing out of the whole as I removed my finger.
            Next question any one know how to test the Oil pressure switch/sensor? Also should I replace the oil pump or does it sound ok?

Thanks for any responses
            79 XS 1100 SF (Special)
            86 250 Rebel (Wife's)
            75 CB550/4

Comment

How long did you let it run? Takes a bit to fill the filter housing. Did you take the housing back off to see if it had filled with oil?

You could get a automotive mechanical gauge and the correct tubing adaptor and connect it to see if there is pressure.

Steve
              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
              Norton Electra - future restore
              CZ 400 MX'er
              68 Ducati Scrambler
              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Next question any one know how to test the Oil pressure switch/sensor?

__________________________________________________ _
                Have never looked at the oil/switch on my XS's but if they have just a single wire coming out, then it is a ground.

Light ON
                A pressure switch would be "normally closed" (w/multi-meter you would have continuity between wire and engine/frame etc..)

Light OFF
                pressure on switch (engine running) would "open" circuit.

Would have to see one to know how to apply enough pressure to test it out of bike though

mro

Comment

Just go buy a new switch. They aren't that much.

Ed
                  79 XS1100SF
                  78 YZ400E
                  81 SR500
                  79 RM250
                  77 YZ400D
                  05 RM250
                  78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

Comment

Yes the cover and filter was full of oil. It is a grounding switch sending unit. I bought the new oil sending unit ($60) at lunch and will put it on tonight and cross my fingers will see what happens. Thanks for all the responses
                    Last edited by Silvercloud; 05-30-2006, 12:00 PM.
                    79 XS 1100 SF (Special)
                    86 250 Rebel (Wife's)
                    75 CB550/4

Comment

New switch, same problem oil light stays on when running even with the wire removed from switch and left in the air not grounding.
                      79 XS 1100 SF (Special)
                      86 250 Rebel (Wife's)
                      75 CB550/4

Comment

Didn't some of these bikes use the oil light as a "tail light" sensor?
                        Just a thought, check ALL the light bulbs on the bike.
                        Ray
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

even with the wire removed

Hold wire to engine or frame directly, then remove. See if light goes on or off.

If light on all the time and it's not being caused by what DiverRay
                          says then it sounds like you have a short in the wire somewhere.

Need to trace wire and look for a spot where wire is exposed and "grounding out". Might help to look at wire diagram to see if anything else is connected to that wire and causing the problem.

If nothing else connected to the oil light wire then disconnect both ends and see if you have continuity between wire and engine/frame etc..) If so, then you defently have a bad spot in the insulation somewhere letting the wire contact the engine/frame.

Should you find it connected to other wires, then you will need to check them too.

mro

Comment

Thanks to all.

I found the problem late last evening. There was a multi plug under the left side cover that if I moved it around it would turn on and off the oil light. I took it apart to find it having dirty contacts, cleaned them up, put it back together again and wiggled it around, pulled pushed and so on and the light stayed on as it should (this was done with the ignition key on at all times and the oil sensor hooked back up). I let it sit for about 5 minutes and turned key on (oil light came on), started the motor (oil light went out ran for around 10 minutes) worked fine. I rocked the bike, moved it around, rode it, bounced up and down hard in the seat, and it continued to work fine, I found no bare or broken wires, not sure how it was making a ground. Seems that a dirty contact would have broken a ground not made one, but that is where I’m at. Thanks again for all the help; I will just keep an eye on it.
                            79 XS 1100 SF (Special)
                            86 250 Rebel (Wife's)
                            75 CB550/4

Comment

Working...
                            X