float needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float needles

Has anyone had any problems with a 80, not using the little wires on the float needles? Does the rubber tip stick in the seat and keep the gas shut off? Apperently the wire is intended to pull the needle down when the float lowers. Thanks all.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

I have not had the little wiore clips on my 79 Special for years. No probs to date.

I think the main reason for them is not to pull the needle off of the seat as much as they are to make sure the needle does not bind with the float incase the float level is adjusted too low. But then, that is only my guess.

I thought I was wrong once.....but I was wrong.
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I think the 78-79 float needles didn't have the wires and the 80-81 do because the rubber tips can stick to the valve seat over time, and the wire probably will pull them free of the seat. Beware the rubber tip...I have taken some carbs apart, and the tip had separated from the needle, and my be messed up when you do get it out of the seat assembly.

Comment

You may be right, John, my 79 SF does not have the rubber seat on the needle. But the original needles did have the wire clip. I removed them a long time ago but seriously, I do not remember why. Still, I have had no repurcussions in over 20 years without the clips but if I had rubber needle seats, I think the clips would be recommended.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
        X