XJ 1100 Horn Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ 1100 Horn Mounting

Does anyone have a picture of a XJ 1100 that shows where and how the horns are mounted ? I have extra parts left over from my basket case LOL
    Thanks,

Dan

Hey Dan,

Here's a couple of photos from the PHOTOS section, showing the XJ! In one, there's a grill above the front fork nameplate, and I could have sworn that a horn was mounted behind that grill.

In the other, there is a bracket just under the tank, where there is a cross bar just below the steering joint on the downtubes, and that bracket bolts onto a couple of tabs, and the horns are mounted on the ends of that bracket!

The parts fiche just shows 2 horns near the front of the bike in the Electrical parts page, but hard to tell where they are mounted!

Perhaps an actual XJ owner will chime in!?

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

mine are mounted right above the headers on a bracket that mounts with 2 bolts up under the tank! im loosing them and getting different horns they are way too quiet!!
      XJ1100 Maroon

Comment

yeah...I agree, they sound like "excuse me.....ehmmmm....excuse me"
        definetly need horns........
        82 XJ1100 Maxim
        80 XS1100 engine and parts doner
        Awsome machine.....love going on rides.....
        black on black

Comment

I just got the NIkko H/L 120 dB from JCWhitney. Vast improvement. Was $30 for both, and well worth it. They're chrome, too. Look nice.

Scared the living hell outta my friend after I put them on. Asked him to bend down to look at the header for an "imaginary" problem. Then gave him a taste or the 120dB goodness. He nearly came outta his shoes!

He's gonna get me for that one....
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Yeah,
            He will get you, but you still won!!
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Dan,

As "TopCat" has suggested as an XJ owner I'm chiming in.

The horn mount/s sits directly behind the "tab" that is welded to the frame through which the brake line passes that comes from the rear master cylinder.

If you look at the tab there are three "openings" - the hard brake line enters throught the top centre and each horn mounts to/through the other two.

If you look at the two pics posted above, the lower one gives you a pretty good idea where to find them.

Helpful??? or did I confuse you and/or anybody else reading this???

Ed
              "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
              84xj1100
              82xj1100

Comment

I posted a close-up shot of the RH mount tab...

Here at the top of the page
                Andy Newell,
                Enumclaw, WA
                03 BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
                1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Geez, you'd think a software engineer could figure out how to post a picture...

Andy Newell,
                  Enumclaw, WA
                  03 BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
                  1996 Triumph Tiger

Comment

Thanks guys the pic and info made the difference !!

Dan,

Comment

Blowing my own horn!

Hey JW Sanders,

Did you use the OEM power supplies for those extra loud horns? I tried to use some aftermarket horns, but they needed to draw too many amps to make enough volume, the OEM wires didn't provide enough current! So...I ran a tap from the AUX terminal and used the OEM wires as actuaters for the RELAY that I put in line with the power tap, to the horns, so the OEM horn button still worked, but got ALL THE AMPS the horns needed from the larger direct tap! Just an FYI for Dan and others wanting to put louder horns on, but then wonder why they don't sound louder!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yep, just put them right on the old connections. These were Nikko horns, like the originals. 110dB each, 120 together, supposedly. Hi and low tones. Not sure if that makes a difference. I put a single 120dB horn (some other brand) on the 400, and it was weak. Sounded right again after I mounted it correctly. I did have to adjust the dampener on all three to get maximum sound after mounting them though. I tested them all before installing them via a direct connection to a battery. They're just as loud on the bikes.....WAY louder than the originals.
                        80 XS1100SG
                        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Working...
                        X