takes too long to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• takes too long to start

I've owned my 1980 XS1100LG since 1987. It has always taken about 10 to 15 seconds of cranking before it starts. I have heard that is the nature of the beast. True or not? Any solutions?

Hey Ron,

Not true! I've got an 81SH, and it's always started within a couple of cranks. You've got the MNS, it has the octopus. How long between one ride and the next, like just 1 day or a week?

Have you taken your carbs off and cleaned them lately? Do you try to open/twist the throttle while you're starting it? Have you checked your air filter lately?

How old is your battery, is it well charged? How old are your spark plugs?

Are you familiar with the PRIME function of the petcocks?

Try this next time, turn petcocks to PRIME and let sit for a minute. Next, pull fuel enrichener lever all the way out. Next you will NOT TURN THE THROTTLE, cause opening the butterflies actually lowers the vacuum in the carbs which can reduce it's ability to suck fuel thru the enrichener circuit. NOW, hit the starter, and see how long it takes!?

If it lites much quicker than before, then you now know that it was not getting enough fuel. If it still takes a long time before it catches, you'll want to investigate for possible vacuum leaks. You may also need to pull the carbs, and clean the choke/fuel enrichener jet down in the float bowl, can get gummed up. Also, you could put some SEA FOAM in your tank to help clean out things!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hmmm...Mine doesn't take that long to start :-)

Dan
      Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

My E and LG start almost instantly, even in winter (temps down to freezing).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Not sure if it's related or not, but my 84XJ starts almost immediatley when cold but once it has warmed up a bit and I leave it for 10 minutes or so it takes 5 to 10 seconds to start. Anyone know if there is a solution. My 81 MNS did the same thing.

Darrell

Comment

Mine usually starts almost before the starter engages. Cold or not. Once in a great while it may take 4-5 revs before it starts.

Comment

Working...
            X