Valve Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Adjustment

I'm gearing up to do this job for the first time. I've checked the Yamaha Service Manual for my 79 Special and I notice they refer to a "tappet adjusting tool". Is this a must-have? If not what is the work-around, if so where do I get one? Any advice, suggestions, etc. about this tool and about the procedure in general would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I hunted around here looking for a step-by-step for valve adjustment and didn't find it. If I missed it, sorry.

You need a tool. Do a search on "valve tool" and you should find some threads.
    You will need to follow the manual, read the threads, and be VERY CAREFULL when the tool is installed. The job is strait forward, but you must pay attention to details.
    The big thing is the shim size needed. the valve clearance will be like 0.035mm, and you want 0.025mm. Your shim is a 255, so you need a 265. Notice the difference between shim and measurement. NOTE THE DECIMAL POINT PLACEMENT. That is what gets everyone messed up the first time, including me.
    I now have a note book for daily ride, and keep all the information in it. I know what size shim is in each valve, and it makes it easy to find the proper one for the next adjustment.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks a lot. Thats good info and the search provided plenty of useful information. Hopefully, I won't be adding SOS posts...

Comment

Dang it Ray, why didn't you say that before? It makes so much sense to keep track of that for next time...although I guess that the only ones you'd need to take out the next time would be the out-of-spec ones, and then measuring is easy. Would you take off the valve cover, do the feeler gauge, then put it back together until you had the shims?
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Yamaha Tool

After poking around some, I found this
          http://www.pitposse.com/yavashto.html
          Looks a lot like the part in my manual. I'll post again when it arrives and I get to use it.
          13.95 comes to 21.90 UPS Ground.

Comment

That is the tool you need. It's recieved mixed reviews here as it works great for some people, and not so good for others, such as myself. I managed to use it, but I had to modify it first. Here's a link to a page I put together after I did mine: Valve adjustment It also describes how I had to modify the tool to make it work.
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

Great link!

Thanks for taking the time to set up/provide that link. Those pictures are fantastic! I feel much more confident now. Nothing like 8 X 10 color glossies to tell the story.

Comment

If you find that the cam adjuster tool won't work for you. You can always do your measurements, then remove the cam and install the new shims. Just be very careful about this and pay attention, and it shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully the tool will work for you and you can avoid the costly mistakes I made by not paying enough attention. If you do need to pull the cams, come back in here and get some more info. on what you need to do and watch for.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own