Engine weight..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine weight..?

Anybody know how much a complete engine and transmission weighs? I'm considering purchasing a complete engine and transmission as a backup to me own (I'm worried that the ticking sound won't go away), it's in good shape, but I'll have to pay FedEx Freight to haul it to my house or to work on a pallet, so I need to find out how much it'll run me.

Thanks much,
    Kris
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Kris,
    It should be around 300 lbs. If you have it shippped to your work via truck, it should only cost about $100.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gracias Ray - I appreciate it.

-Kris
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

I wouldn't think it would be even 300. I can carry one, but I don't want to do it very far! (Trunk to garage was enough!) lol. Crated up though... it may be. It has come in handy to have a spare. Mine paid for itself when I bent the valves and just had to swap heads. Is this thing on Ebay.. *Evil grin.... lol

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'd say one weighs enough for a month of chiropratic treatments and vicoden. ;o)

Look into Forward Air for shipping from terminal to terminal. It's the cheapest I've found.
          http://www.forwardair.com/

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I weighted a dry engine without carbs and it came to 192lbs.
            DZ
            Vyger, 'F'
            "The Special", 'SF'
            '08 FJR1300

Comment

Well, actually.... yes, it's on ebay. but Andreas had one, if he still does, I might buy his instead - still not totally sure, I need to ask the seller some crucial questions, but the engine looks like it's in pretty nice shape. As it is, I'm just planning to buy one, I haven't committed to buying one yet. I'm trying to hold out until I have the perfect find (ie not one off some junker that has a million miles and has been sitting forever and needs to be rebuilt - I want plug and play here dammit!)

Thanks for the tip, Geezer, now if only I can find someone to take it to the terminal from the dude's house. (he only wants to load it on a truck, he probably won't want to drive it to the airport).

As for lifting it, yeah, I'm assuming it'll be a 2 person job, but that's why I always keep beer in the fridge. ....to lure over unsuspecting friends.

Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Dennyz, was that an engine AND transmission?

Thanks,
                Kris
                Kristoffer
                "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Where's the engine? Maybe there are club members in the area to drive it to the airport. Perhaps you could send a beergram to cover it... ;o)

Geezer

Originally posted by knewsom
                  Thanks for the tip, Geezer, now if only I can find someone to take it to the terminal from the dude's house. (he only wants to load it on a truck, he probably won't want to drive it to the airport).

As for lifting it, yeah, I'm assuming it'll be a 2 person job, but that's why I always keep beer in the fridge. ....to lure over unsuspecting friends.
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

heck, I'd be more'n happy to send a beergram (or six) to any obliging member! It's in Shephard, Texas.

I have no clue if that's anywhere near an airport or not, so I think I'll make a few phone calls and try to work it all out, that is, after I talk to the seller and decide if the engine is worth my time. It came off a working bike, and it looks like it's in reasonable shape... Once the dude gets back to me with the answers to my questions, I'll post again with more info.

For now, I'm pluggin' away on a few more little things, and should have the baboon roaring away any day now.

-Kris
                    Kristoffer
                    "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

If there is a way he can get it to Austin, I could get it shipped from here. Shepards 'bout 150 miles from Austin. I might be able to organize a road trip just for the cruise, I am sure it will fit in the trunk of my Cavalier, taking the truck would cost more than having it airfreighted at 8mpg, on a good day, downhill, with a tailwind. Maybe we could "relay" that puppy to Cali.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Yes

Dennyz, was that an engine AND transmission?
                        DZ
                        Vyger, 'F'
                        "The Special", 'SF'
                        '08 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks Dennyz...

No worries webbcraft, I think I may end up just goin' with Fedex for simplicity's sake. (er, when I have the $$$ to buy the engine...)
                          Kristoffer
                          "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Working...
                          X