Brake lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lights

Sometimes it works....sometimes it dosent.When it dosent work and i mash the brake the whole taillight goes out..and then my blinkers dont work right either.Last night i noticed the problem AGAIN...then this morning i start her up and everything works fine.I know i should check and clean every connection...but is there maybe a relay or something that i could check???It is most likely a shorted wire i think.Thanks for your help!!!!!

Check all of your GROUND connections. Some of the grounds on the back of the bike may not be working properly.
    Just my guess.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

What Diverray said,

GROUNDS

One ground wire clips on to the tail light housing, out in the weather, corrosion prone. Turn signals have rings at the mounting studs. Also corrosion prone. Clean and grease the rings. Remove the tail lens, then the light housing behind it and you'll see the ground clip.

To cure ills like this, I soldered all of the grounds from the signals and the tail light together inside the housing, then cleaned the ground clip and connector. Treat it with grease, too.

Next step: connector under the seat near the right turn signal - feeds the whole tail section. Clean and grease all of the pins, both sides of the plug.

That should take care of it.

Comment

Ok it will be this weekend before i get to it but i will try that thanks yall!!!!

Comment

Like the other guys said, check the GROUNDING on you rear lights. You can get all kinds of feed through on these lights without a good ground. I added some LED lighting to the trunk and side bags on my dresser. Took me half a day to track down the grounding connection on the right side under the seat. Once I fixed that all the wierdness went away.javascript:smilie('')
          smile
          Missing Link
          Keep the Shinny Side UP!!

Comment

Working...
          X